No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request  (Read 49843 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
I think it is important to note, for those following along, that the post on CW regarding the trophy vase shape which can be found at the following link, has now undergone a couple of subtle rewrites.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/81570-antonin-ruckl-and-sons-bohemian-1895-yello?in=user

There is a list of 3 attributions the author of the post is claiming to be incorrect. I actually agree that number 1 and 3 are incorrect assessments of the production. The references to "primary documentation" are also new to the post.

#1 is "Identification of American Art Glass" by Richard Carter Barret. This book is copyright 1967.
I quote the poster:
"The glassware shown is noted as being on display at the Bennington Museum. The museum identifies the wares shown as American made glass by The Vasa Murrina Art Glass Company or Hobbs Brockunier. There is no mention of manufacturer marks or labels and no primary documentation was provided. Mr. Barret was the Director & Curator of The Bennington Museum, Bennington, Vermont."

There is no image shown that is identified as being associated with that article.

#2 is  "Collectible Bohemian Glass, 1880-1940" by Robert and Deborah Truitt Copyright 1995.
I quote the poster:
"The author misattributes this shape to 1910 Bohemian glass by Welz."

This was a revision from stating that Truitt attributed the vase to Welz. The poster provides no real support for the position that the ID by Truitt is a misattribution. 

#3 is "Collectors Glass Digest" December / January 1999, Volume XII, Number 4, an article by John Franks.
I quote the poster:
"Page 52, Figure 6, illustrates the same trophy vase shape shown above and in the above referenced book. This time the vase is in rainbow honeycomb spatter decor as shown in the 3rd picture above. The author, John Franks, misattributes theses vases as English in origin and manufactured by glass workers on their own time. There is no mention of manufacturer marks or labels and no primary documentation was provided."

I think that it is important to note that it appears that the Ruckl attribution is being supported by the "incorrectness" of other publications, with no substantial informational support of any kind for the argument that the trophy vase is by Ruckl.

The most recent use of the trophy vase attribution in the Tango exhibit in 2012 and also the references by other reputable museums are simply discounted with the following statement:

"Museum displays, although a good guide for further research, should not be misinterpreted as primary documentation. "

I would be remiss if I did not point out that the poster in this case, also offers no “Primary Documentation”, which I am fairly confident is referencing factory drawings or documents.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the update, Craig. I´m beginning to think I´m stuck in a dream about 1984
and CW is the official magazine of Minitrue.
sigh... to phrase it positively: in ca. 76 revisions the article will attribute them to Welz  ;D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
Dirk, the most ridiculous part is that in December of 2012, the author of that post and was offering the same pieces on ebay as Welz.... go figure....  I will quote a post I did in that forum that is no longer there. It was a very long discussion with some incredible fairy tales presented as facts....  It was so rich I actually have a PDF copy of it. I read it for chuckles every once in a while.....  it is long gone in it's entirety...... It was my final quote on the "discussion".

“This highway leads to the shadowy tip of reality: you're on a through route to the land of the different, the bizarre, the unexplainable...Go as far as you like on this road. Its limits are only those of mind itself. Ladies and Gentlemen, you're entering the wondrous dimension of imagination. . .  Next stop..... The Twilight Zone."
Rod Serling......

(substitute CW for Twilight)

;D
Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2013, 03:22:21 AM »
For those still continuing to follow this thread, the link at the top of this page on CW has been modified once again, to reflect yet another ground breaking discovery....

Read for yourself..... Maybe I am being a bit skeptical of the new "discovery" and it's devastating ramifications on our knowledge of glass.....  but it appears that there may be a tpo in  the image name an text applied to the image, no doubt done by the Exhibit Curator themselves, and not some IT guy that may know nothing about glass...

So...... while I was sure I heard Rod Serlings voice and had entered the Twilight Zone, it would appear that I as wrong and Dirk was right.....  The voice I heard must have been George Orwell, the date s 1984, and it is not CW I am reading, but Minitrue....

I  guess what  find most amazing is that it appears that this poster really believes they are right, and the rest of the glass world is wrong.....   ;D :o ;D

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
In an effort to continue and build support for what I believe to be completely mistaken Ruckl attributions, the poster in CW has entered the following information on a post:

The Truitt Welz attribution made sense until December 4, 2012. That's when I found images of the labeled oxblood burchardgalleries (sic) vase and realized my son owns one just like it. The vase he has was purchased in Canada but no longer has a label.

So, in some manner the fact that Ruckl made this piece of glass in an Oxblood spatter decor proves the Truitt attributions to be incorrect.  I would have to point out that the vase in question, which I certainly believe to be Ruckl, is not in any form pictured in Truitt, and the decor being used is not shown in Truitt either.

I have been working on accumulating a variety of oxblood examples and will at some point in the future be posting an article on my website discussing this decor and the many variations.

One initial difference which I have observed is that the Ruckl example being used to build this line of attributions to the trophy vases, is an example of the Oxblood decor which upon close examination of the attached Burchard Gallery image (used with the express permission of the gallery owner) shows that the interior of the piece is lined with what appears to be more of a matte finish glass, and not a layer of glossy clear.

While I know that a different interior finish would certainly not be enough to attribute a piece of glass in a similar decor, to me a different interior finish would also exclude it from being attributed based on a similar exterior decor. It would certainly require at least a secondary link to make such an attribution leap.  As an example, a known shape in an recognized decor with the same interior lining would help to support an attribution.

I am also attaching an image of a vase I purchased to examine both the decor and techniques. Although the first glance would have it appear to resemble some Welz examples as far as shape, an examination of the technique reveals that the interior is not lined with a clear, but matte like the Ruckl example. It is also in a decor I have not seen on any known Welz shapes. In light of this, the example must remain as an unknown house until further links can be established to determine, if possible, who actually made it.

The first image below shows the interior of the labeled Oxblood spatter Ruckl vase with a matte interior lining.
The second image shows the interior of the Welz Oxblood spatter trophy vase.
The third image shows the interior of the unknown burnt orange spangle vase with a matte interior lining.
The 4th image shows the unknown burnt orange spangle vase.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
Another example of the burnt orange spangle decor (great name you have coined there) on a different shape for reference, it looks to me like mica covered with amber glass that achieves the effect.

John

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »
I love this one!!  The organic form of this one is great.....   The decor looks the same, and amber casing is the same. It is notable that the interior of your piece appears to be lined with either a glossy finish glass, or a lining of clear as opposed to mine which is matte or flat.  Also, is the color in the pic accurate to your vases interior color?

I do have a question about yours. If I run my finger on the inside of my vase, the surface is textured, and not smooth. What is it like on yours?

Craig

Thanks for posting this one....  great piece.... 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
The inner layer of this one is clear glass, so it is clear/terracotta/amber in construction, the inside is not perfectly smooth - it is slightly bumpy, easier to feel than see.

The previous photos were lit with electric light, the following daylight only, I would say the colour is pretty true.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
Thanks.... an interesting comparison... same with my example, easier to feel the bumps on the interior than to see them....  Interesting that the inner color on the two is pretty different, but the exterior is for all appearances, the same.

How tall is your piece?

Craig

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
Height is 6˝ inches or 16.5cm. 

I only bought this one because of the unfamiliar shape and decor, it cost buttons because there is a huge crack around the waist almost cutting it in two.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand