No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request  (Read 49962 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
Thanks, Shame it is cracked. A great reference piece though.....   The decor is unusual, and that is one thing that drew me to it. The shape on yours is very unique.....  Not like anything I have seen that I can think of.....

I would be surprised if the two pieces are not the same house....  but we will likely never know....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »
An example of the Ruckl Oxblood vase has appeared on CW which is stated to have a clear lined interior. This example does not have a label but does appear to be the same as the labeled piece in terms of shape, applied rigaree, foot crimp design and also basic decor.  Where the poster there seems to use the clear casing as a marker for Ruckl productioin in many of the other posts posts claiming Ruckl attributions, the fact that this decor and shape appear in both a clear lined and obviously matte unlined interior would immediately discount the use of this clear lining as a marker for production by any house as is being claimed. Many of the Welz trophy vases I have are lined with clear.

Although the fact that many respectable authorities and museums attribute some definitive trophy vase shapes and decors to Welz, the seemingly misguided Ruckl attributions of these shapes and decors continue to persist in collector forums.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
I recently acquired a pair of Welz Oxblood Trophy vases in a rarely seen shape that was included in the Tango Exhibit. The example of this shape shown in the exhibition was in Variegated Pink and White. This is only the second or 3rd example of this form I have seen, and to find it in the distinctive Oxblood decor with the fairly distinctive interior color was a bonus. These examples are the end pieces in the first image.

In all examples of this decor, and other also shown in these images, the interior is lined with clear. This varies from the labeled Oxblood Ruckl example as it does not have a clear lining, while there is another example without a label posted on CW which is said to have a clear lining.

I think all this proves overall (the lining that is) is that this type of production detail would certainly not be a marker for any one company. This is stronly supported by the fact that the same shape and decor from the same company is found both with and without an inner lining of clear.

The images below are as described:
1) Welz Oxblood decor examples, with the center back piece having a different interior color. In the case of the different interior color, it gives the example a slightly different look overall. The shape is a well known Welz trophy shape.
2) Welz Oxblood grouping , all examples having the same casing layers and interior colors.
3) Welz Oxblood examples on unique Welz shapes.
4) Welz trophy vases, and as with most houses, same shapes were produced in different sizes. In this case, the large trophy vases are not seen all that frequently. Certainly less common than the smaller form.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »
I am adding detailed images of the 6 sided trophy vases. Although these examples have a geometric body style and base, the height of these is basically the same as the trophy vases above in the group shot with the large pink example.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Lastly, the pink and white version of this geometric trophy form as shown in the Tango Exhibit in 2011. Image compliments of Dirk!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »
Great identification :) -  using examples to illustrate your id works really well as a visual explanation, as well as  having the links to the same shaped Welz pieces in the Tango exhibition.

You're building up a nice collection of the Welz trophy vases there  ;D  they actually look great as a group especially putting the same decors together in different shapes/sizes.

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
Thanks M.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
I find it necessary to report that a CW member who goes by a different name here has linked to one of my pics and is referring to them as photo shopped to alter the decor colors. The claim is that the item, the center front piece in the last image showing a trophy group in the group shots above, is actually a Ruckl decor altered to look different from an actual Ruckl example with a label.

All of my images are shot in a photo booth with multiple light source types to try to insure accurate colors, and not photo shopped to alter appearances in any way.

I am only adding this as an aid to those from CW that may make their way here in this forum as a result of the image link.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »
Thank you for the update, Craig! (I wonīt comment further than that ;) )

Since the article also links to the thorn vases.... My personal idea would be (as you know) that these are
actually Welz, too, like most of the things shown on that Butlerīs page.
I was hoping for some examples to back up this idea, but meanwhile thereīs only these two, which do
however strongly point towards that direction IMHO.
Is there actually any other maker known for making those ball-shaped bases?

(sorry, bad quality picture)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
Hi Dirk, Thanks for adding those pics. I am unaware of anyone else making the tri-balled foot.

I agree with you.... The right piece is Welz, and the left piece I would attribute to Welz at this point. It is clear from Butler that Welz at least made some thorn vases, and the left example certainly looks like a good possibility.

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand