No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request  (Read 49847 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
Thanks Dirk... I knew it was a long shot....  :-)

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
Just a quick note to let readers know that at least one of the aforementioned Collectors Weekly articles, as see in this link:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/81570-antonin-ruckl-and-sons-bohemian-1895-yello?in=442

has been almost completely revised, changing some posted images and adding text referring to attributions not previously mentioned. One of the now mentioned Welz attributions from Truitt II, the absence of which was discussed previously in this thread, has now been added to the body of the OP's text. The post on CW now bears very little resemblance to the post which was originally done in Feb 2013, and bears a slight resemblance to the one previously discussed in this thread.

Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Just for accuracy as of this evening, the CW thread still says the vases are by Ruckl,
 and   
the picture now includes again the yellow spatter vase which, from what I see in Truitt's, has been identified as Welz page 130, not 'attributed to' as they say on the thread,
and also is the same as the yellow vase that appeared in the Tango Glass Exhibition and was identified as Welz in that exhibition.
They do make the point that none of the vases are labelled apart from the original Ruckl one.  Whilst I can see that not having labels is a point to make, I think a more valid point or rather 'caveat' might be that neither Welz nor Ruckl pattern books have been seen perhaps.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »
The attribution will not change in that forum, regardless of any information published anywhere...... The current yellow spatter trophy in the post is one that replaced the image copied and cropped from Truitt and not identified as to source.

While I agree and think it is a valid point that pieces do not have labels, I would also be remiss if I did not point to the huge mountain of work in Bohemian attributions which have been produced and accepted as a result of serious research, and without any labels or pattern books.

Pallme Koenig would be an excellent example of such work. While I have seen, and my website shows an example of a marked PK piece, it is actually not art glass as such, but more along the lines of a cut glass vase.  I have no knowledge at all of a PK, early Kralik, or early Rindskopf example with a label, yet the body of their work is relatively recognizable as the result of serious research. The vast majority of glass from Kralik, Rindskopf, and other companies has been researched and attributed without either pattern books or labels. Labels are a bonus which can help to confirm other research leading to the same information.

My position has always been that the foundation and premise of the work must be solid, or the results are  not worth the "paper it takes to print them".

The re-write of the particular article makes a reference to an auction shape with a Ruckl label, and an image on another site in yellow variegated. The following statement is now made in that article:

"The yellow and white vase shape shown in the 20thcenturyglass link above matches the vase shape in the following link which is marked Antonin Ruckl & Sons, Vcelnicka. Although the decor is different, the vase shape is exactly the same. "   I have added underline and italics to emphasize the statement being made.

Using even the sloppiest tolerances, the two shapes referenced are anything but "identical". Similar.... Yes....  Identical....  very far from it.

So while this research is quite difficult, and can be time consuming, I think there is a level of responsibility pertaining to accuracy that has to be recognized as critical when "publishing" information in public forums.

Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
I agree.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:19 AM »
I am posting a comparative of the two shapes referred to in the CW post as identical. The image of the yellow piece is used with the permission of the site owner, and the image of the Ruckl piece is used with permission of the auction house in the link on CW. 

These two shapes, as a method of linking Ruckl to many other decors, were described as being different decors but identical shapes.

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2013, 01:20:37 AM »
I have posted an article in the CW forum discussing simplistic shapes and their use in research.  I will also be posting the same article on my website under "General education"

here is a link to that article:   http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/88314-a-study-of-simple-shapes-it-is-all-i

Craig

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
A good article, Craig! Or should I say Welzebub... lol >:-)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Thanks Dirk....  :-)

When I had my account there deleted as Obscurities, someone registered almost immediately using that name...  So when I decided to go back, Welzebub just seemed way too appropriate for my new moniker...

It has certainly brought some chuckles....

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
A new pair of trophy vases with enameled and gilded decoration.  :D
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum