No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request  (Read 49847 times)

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Uranium Opalescent Rigaree/Trailed Bud Vase I.D Request
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
Thanks a lot for the insight in glass-making, John. It reminds me a lot of old painting techniques,
where often the final colour you see and it´s brilliance is achieved by various different layers.
-
And another lovely piece of Welz you have there.  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Hi John, and glad to see you here....  I really am....

I agree with the ideas of inner linings having an effect on outwardly visual color. IMHO, in many cases, multicolor layer decors are such that it likely would have been made by at least a couple, if not more companies. The oxblood and white spatter decor is a good example of a simple decor to produce with no real strong identifying characteristics. Multicolor spatter, or end of day decors as some call them, are also a good example of a decor which is difficult to isolate versions of.

IMHO, in the case of these types of decors, reasonably unique shapes become critical for the purpose of attribution. Some shapes are almost useless for the purpose of attribution, but some are quite unique and can be used......  In many cases it becomes the combination of things which allow for an attribution.

Dirk, I know you said presumably.... and I happen to agree with which direction things likely point.....  but as I said before, I need something solid to make it an attribution over a suspicion.  (I want to believe also) Other than the links being claimed on CW, I have never seen anything which would support a trophy vase being made by Ruckl...  I am not saying they didn't....  I just like something reasonable to link it....  Not a decor like the oxblood spatter and a series of what I see as unfounded leaps....

The yellow interior of the Lifelight is a different interior color than the other examples. That is explained away as a variation of the Oxblood decor by Ruckl. The interior of the other pieces are a also a couple of different reds if I am not mistaken.... another reason I would likely look at multiple different sources for the decor.   I have seen this type of decor with at least 5 different interior colors...... 3 shades of red, yellow, and clear..... That includes the large piece I own in a different shape than any of the others, and also what appears to be a different interior color, kind of a bright Magenta......  I have no idea who produced mine.... I just acquired it recently... Pics attached.....

Interestingly, in a video posted on the internet from the Tango exhibition, the upturned leaf pattern with the leaf feet on the Lifelights on CW is actually shown in the Welz case on a tri-ball footed piece in pink. To me at least, that foot design on a tri ball foot is a much stronger pointer as to source, than a simple cased decor. Here is a link to the video.....  There were also a couple of pieces in the exhibition which confirmed some of my earliest Welz attributions of decors.....

http://multimedia.ctk.cz/cs/video/document/6383477/regionalni-muzeum-teplice-predstavuje-tango-sklo

I look forward to hearing about your friends pics....  and please check if there were any other Welz images from the same source....
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »
We possibly don´t need his permission; I just found I have pictures from the Nový Bor showcase in my Picasa here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096/CzechTrip?authkey=Gv1sRgCNz6s9vqyMSeRQ#
#17, 19, 20 (only left vase) and 21 are Welz. Are these ok for you?

The tango exhibition it seems was a different one to the one you linked to, Craig. There are also some pictures in the
same folder - some Welz tango among. Unfortunately the original pictures got lost during my last year´s computer crash,
so there are only those in the picasa album left. I had photographed all the pattern book posters you can see in the
background of some pictures...  :'(

...working on it...

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »
Dirk,
Great pics there......  #35 is also Welz..... Too bad about the images of the posters... would have loved to see a copy of each of those.    Both sets of pics, yours and his would be great if he will give permission. You have a better shot of the red trophy with what appears to be mica inclusions, his picture of the tall multicolor piece is better....  Too bad about the images you lost.....   Great stuff there.....  Helps a lot......  I had not seen the decor on the trophy vase in red with mica before, although it appears to be a red ground version of Salt and Pepper on the site.....  bit by bit the picture gets bigger....  Let me know about your friends pics.... Thanks!!!

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
I´ll ask anyway then...  :)
Think the inclusions are gold, but perhaps they vary.  I recently missed a green version of this decor...  :(

...working on it...

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 03:27:21 AM »
Meanwhile - it seems we´ve occupied Otis Orlando´s original question with another topic. Wouldn´t it be best to
split this thread from reply #19 onwards into a new one?

I agree, and wondered about that.....
Look forward to hearing from you Dirk....  Craig

Firstly I would like to say thank you for your concerns.   To be honest,  I find the subject matter initially raised has certainly opened up a bundle of information that I did not expect, but I find of great reading and interest  ::).  My query was answered initially and can see why the conversations have progressed.  The additional pictures and threads by GMB members to my query did, kick start the conversation, which in my opinion......................, is all 'of good intentions'.  I did not know some of the companies mentioned and this has helped me a lot when carrying out specific research on this type of vase.   Thanks to you all for your help.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
I just wanted to drop in and give John a gentle nudge for pics of the fan vase....  thanks....

Craig

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 02:48:58 AM »
No probs Craig!   All the best to you all for the new year and many thanks for your support, info. etc. What would we ever do without such knowledgeable GMB members:).  Most appreciated!!

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
Hi Craig,
sorry for the delay, but it´s taken a while to contact Mr. Baumann. We´ve got his ok for using his pictures ´wherever we deem them entertaining or educating´.   ;D
Couldn´t resist more lifelights meanwhile...  8)
BTW quite scaring how fast the Rückl theory is spreading via ebay. If it can be proven wrong one day it´s gonna take ages to eliminate the info...

...working on it...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
yes, I'd never seen Ruckl mentioned until recently and now it's everywhere.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand