No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help required with Swedish Controlled Bubble Lamp Christina  (Read 10092 times)

Offline redlamp

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • sweden swedish glass
    • australia
Help required with Swedish Controlled Bubble Lamp Christina
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »

Hi there,

I have just discovered this terrific site after searching for hours on the web for some information on a lamp I have.

The knowledgabel people on here may be able to provide the answer I am having so much difficutly in finding.

I haven't any photos ready to post as I wanted to ask 2 questions, one concerning the photos themselves.

OK re photos, the lamp has been sitting, unattended for MANY years & has acquire a lot of dust, the brass fittings are naturally oxidise or darkened like all unpolished brass.  The lamp itself is VERY dusty, should I clean it before photographing or photograph it 'as is' then clean it carefully [just the glass] to give a better view of the beautiful claret/ruby red colour ?

Re the lamp itself, it is in Australia, it stands 16cm high measuring only the glass section x 36cm circumference.  It has a label which is very worn but I am just able to read it with an eye glass. It reads CHRISTINA  MADE IN SWEDEN - above the christina is what could be described as the spokes of an umbrella or lines eminating from a map in a convex manner, all beinning at a singular point in the centre of the label. The label is oval, gold with gold lettering for christina & black for sweden.

It weighs a tad under 2kilos. It is cased glass - clear over ruby, with a dynamic controlled bubble pattern throughout the ruby section, the base is clear, the sides have [sorry, not sure of the terminology here] protruding pieces like someone has run their finger up into the glass whilst still wet leaving deep indentations which end in little 'cliff overhangings'..

These 'indentations' are quite long & zig zag as in one up one down, like stepping stones.

Apologies for my poor description.

I will attempt to post some images tomorrow. I will be using photobucket australia is that suitable for this site ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts & help
redlamp

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help required with Swedish Controlled Bubble Lamp Christina
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
Welcome to the board. Dust it so we can see the detail (dust always looks a zillion times worse in photos). Then please use the attach facility so that the photos stay with the thread as a reference. You might delete the photos and Photobucket is always changing things so that even if you've done nothing your photos are no longer visible.

Resize high res photos take against a plain white background (and cropped so we have plenty of lamp and little background) so that the longest dimension is 700 pixels.
there is help to be had here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

Offline redlamp

• Members
    • sweden swedish glass
    • australia
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »
Hi again,
apologies, I couldn't get back to this yesterday.

I have taken quite a few photos so will give link to photobucket but also ATTEMPT to add a photo here. I just have to work out where the attatchment button is.

http://s1290.beta.photobucket.com/user/12isadora12/library/

I hope I have done that correctly, it is the email & IM link as I read HTML links are not accepted here.

I find the ATTACH area won't allow me to paste any links from photobucket so I don't know what else I can offer you.

cheers

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:03:56 AM »
This works well - even if people here prefer to stay away from third party hosts as they tend to lose content and the thread becomes redundant.

I think it is an Aseda lamp foot designed by Bo Borgstrom. Google images will reveal pages of colourful Aseda glass and you will find a decanter of very similar construction there. Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm this - because others have worked in this style too.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »
You can only attach photos from your computer not from an external host site; it works the same way in effect as uploading pictures to Photobucket or an email

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
I think it is an Aseda lamp foot designed by Bo Borgstrom.

There was a thread about the matching decanters and vases on here a while back that attributed the design to Borne Augustsson, using old Aseda paperwork.

Offline redlamp

• Members
    • sweden swedish glass
    • australia
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »
Thanks so much for your replies Christine, Ivo & Nic.

I will be thrilled to see the article on  'Aseda lamp foot designed by Bo Borgstrom',  it is always exciting when you finally learn of its origins or creator.  Does anyone know if the thread Nic refers to is still accessible ? I will do some searching on Aseda, that will possibly lead me to the thread.

Ivo, your 'Blue Henry' book launch page was a little trip down memory lane for me, albeit not one some would normally rejoice in taking.  My grandfather returned from New Guinea at the end of WWII with tuberculosis & spent the remainder of his life fairly much bedridden. For him the legacy of helping keep Australia free. The price many paid.

Re photos from my own computer, I delete them faster than photobucket as I am always attempting to increase storage space on here, so photobucket's will last longer than mine. I transfer them to a memory stick if I really want to keep them.

Oh, back to the lamp, I am off to find Aseda on google, perhaps I will find the mention of CHRISTINA, which also happens to be my name, how ironic. 

Offline redlamp

• Members
    • sweden swedish glass
    • australia
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:21 PM »
No, sadly, searching Aseda & Bo Borgstrom unearthed zero threads.

Google may unearth more.

Have a lovely weekend all.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
This is the thread I mentioned: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35816.0.html

Re photos from my own computer, I delete them faster than photobucket as I am always attempting to increase storage space on here, so photobucket's will last longer than mine. I transfer them to a memory stick if I really want to keep them.

No, they get uploaded from your computer, and are then stored on this site's servers - essentially just another big hard drive - much in the same way that you upload photos from your computer to Photobucket and they're stored on Photobucket's servers.

Offline Swedishmom

• Members
  • Mostly interested in Åsedaglass-knows a little....
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
Hello there. Will try to clarify this. The lamp is NOT designed by Bo Borgström. This model was way before he was hired as the chiefdesigner at Åseda. I would say the 50:es. I guess that the production identification would be C-37 with a height of 200 mm. It came in following colours, brown, green, blue and red. An alternative would be nr 999 in the same colours added with clearglass. This model came also as vases and was often labelled/marked with F WA Johansson, Orrefors. But that was a retailercompany and not a glassmaker. Best wishes and congratulation to a lovely piece of glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand