No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Bird Unknown Maker  (Read 3458 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Blue Bird Unknown Maker
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
Hello, can anyone ID the maker of this opalescent bird? I know I have seen this one some where before, and it's driving me crazy!

Many thanks,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Opalescent Bird Unknown Maker
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
This may, or may not help  -  do you think there is any similarity with colours in my opalescent bird....   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39082.msg216170.html#msg216170    although appreciate the depth of blue is stronger in your example.
As you can see, in view of the Murano label Rose and Anita agreed on my bird as being Fratelli Toso.      Of course, other factories may well have produced these opalescent animals :) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
I don't think the bird in question is opalescent - it's blue milk glass.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Sue - doesn't milk glass have to be opaque throughout?   -  although I agree that part of this bird does look opaque.        the answer here would be to hold the bird up to the light and look for the fiery glow.     

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
Thank you all for your information.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Don't know that we offered anything of any real use :)

Looking again it reminded me of the colour and varying opacity/translucence of Blue Pearline from George Davidson (and other factories which produced similar) - although this bird is no doubt second half C20 in date.
Apparently the colour in Blue Pearline was provided by cobalt (uranium in the yellow version), but the mix also contained phosphate of lime (instead of powdered calcined animal bones??), arsenic and limespar, without which the extremities wouldn't develop into that milky opaque shade when re-heated.
If you hold pearline up to the light, there is a degree of 'sunset glow' but this appears only in the immediate vicinity of the re-heated opaque areas.
Does this bird show any sunset glow?     

It's unlikely that this piece contains any arsenic, and it might well be that the pedestal and bird have been produced separately in order to create the different shades, and then fused together as a final process.     It might well be from the Gulf of Venice - they seem to have a passion for making ducks, swans etc.

coming back to Sue's comments..........the only book I have on milk glass is Belnap - which is now very dated - great if you simply want pictures of milk/slag glass patterns/designs, but unfortunately Belnap contributes nothing regarding the make up of milk glass - although it may well have been opacified by tin oxide rather than cryolite as in vitro porcelain.
Belnap comments in his book that to qualify as milk glass, one of the original criteria was that the colour had to be white, but probably other colours now accepted - however, it does seem that a uniform opaqueness was essential.
Sorry this is rambling.

None of which helps with attribution for this piece, but nice if you collect blue birds ;D

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
Hello, it has absolutely no sunset in it at all, just very nice blue glass....I can see that the bird and the pedestal were made separately and hot joined together...Thank you for you help...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »
oh well, another good idea down the drain - but it does mean that the word opalescent needs to be removed from the subject heading. :)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
I'll upload some better pictures shortly....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand