No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage paperweight with girls name  (Read 5563 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Vintage paperweight with girls name
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
Unfortunately been off my feet for a couple of weeks so not been able to get out and about and find anything.
So pleased when my son 'found' me this today :)
First thoughts, probably due to the name 'Lucy' British maybe.
Appears to have some age to it a dump, frigger maybe.
Thanks for having a look, more photos in the album link....
https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/VintagePaperweightWithGirlsName#
Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Vintage paperweight with girls name
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:16:47 AM »
It looks like those thought to be made as souvenirs at the glass museum at St Helen's, now World of Glass. Not that old, second half of the 20th C. They sometimes come with yellow crocussy flowers http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1057

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
Hi Chris
Christine was spot on, this is a St Helens paperweight and you could have them made to order. I have seen them with names of people and clubs in them but here is my copy complete with flowers
Dave

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »
Pilkington glass made these.. i wonder who the paperweight makers were?
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
The makers were said to be immigrant Czech workers, and maybe others who learned from them.

Whenever Pilkington were asked about the pieces, they simply said their company did not make paperweights.

The image below shows one of two boxes of such weights I saw some years ago when visiting a collector. The weight at the lower right corner appears to be much the same pattern as the one that started this thread.
KevinH

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »
Funnily enough my first thoughts were actually post war European and I asked Anik to have a look see if she thought it looked 'Czech'
The English sounding name then sent me off in a different direction.
The base ring wear is really heavy like you find on the early soft bottle glass dump weights.
When you say 'souvenirs' Christine and not that old are you thinking '70s or would they have been doing stuff like that earlier maybe 1950s which looks more in keeping with the style unless that just reflects the style of the immigrant Czech workers  who possibly made them.
Happy with the attribution of course just second half of the 20th century souvenir weights conjures up bright colours, bubbles and swirls.
Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
I think the bluish green ones are the museum souvenirs. The museum has been there 30 years or so to my knowledge. I think it is the orangey ones that are older

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 02:40:14 PM »
I think what Pilkingtons says is true; they didn't make paperweights. Some were probably back door jobs and the others were made at the museum. What I don't know is who owned the museum initially, though I assume Pilkington because it used to be onsite. Now the museum is in the same place but the council owns it and the factory has moved over half a mile or so.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:58 AM »
It is interesting to read about Pilkington and their foreign workers.  We had a similar situation here in Australia at the Philips Wallsend works - a suburb of Newcastle NSW.  Their output was lightshades.  However there are quite a range of pieces that are of very diverse styles with the sticker Leonora on them.  I show two below - one looks like a typical triangular Murano bowl, the other I thought was probably a Tapio Wirkilla design when I spotted it.  Both have labels.  I also have a small blue Crackle effect basket where the outer layer is over white glass and the cracks are 1 - 2 mms wide.  And I have a paperweight with what looks like a typical Murano three "Ice pck flower" design both with labels.  I also spent some time at the Newcastle Antique Centre where I was shown other items unmarked that I was assured came from an ex-worker in the plant.  One was very similar to those revolting Murano fish.  Some of Australia's most successful artist worked there in the late 60s early 70s in cluding Stephen Skillitzi , Julio Santos & an engraver called Ladislav Dostal.

I was told at the Newcastle Antique Centre that these pieces were made to allow the workers to maintain their traditional skills and were often used as corporate gifts rather than marketed to the public.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand