No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Murano Vase ID Help  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Alton11

• Members
Vintage Murano Vase ID Help
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
Bought this at goodwill $5 because it had some age to it. was wondering if anyone recognized design or can confirm it as being Murano or have any ideas to age. Stands 15 inches tall, is baby blue and has alot of gold flecks. Thnx for looking

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Vintage Murano Vase ID Help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:40:24 AM »
This is a confusing basket. It looks like someone was imitating the look of a Fratelli Toso basket. To tell the truth, I am not sure that your basket is Murano glass. The color (aventurine?) around the bubbles is not so neat and the casing glass is not done in a style I am familiar with. I hope someone else has a better idea about your basket.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
I have some older Murano pieces 50yrs or so where the gold flaking is also sliding? away from the bubbles. I wonder if this occurs over time?. The base does not look like most Toso baskets I have seen( mostly oval bases ), but I have seen some with the star-shape base
attributed to/ but not confirmed as his work. Was just hoping for a definitive answer. thnks

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
It's a myth that glass drags downwards over time like a very slow-moving treacle - c/o of people observing that very old windows are thicker at the bottom than they are at the top, and observing that this is not the case with newer windows.

This is a byproduct of the manufacturing processes, whereby old window glass blanks were spun out centrifugally as a giant disc that was necessarily thinner at the edge than at the middle, rather than gravity doing its thing. Obviously it made more sense to have the thicker, heavier, end of the pane at the bottom than at the top. This method was phased out as ones giving better uniformity and less wastage were invented.

Once it's solidified, glass is pretty fixed.

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
Guess I should have been more specific. Was only reffering to this particular style ( bullicante )where the aventurine appears to bleed away from the internal bubbles on almost all of the older pieces...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Alton, I knew what you meant by the bullicante style with the color around. If you'll compare the items you'll see that the three pictures you have shown are more carefully done. Your basket is much more diffuse in the particles.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
I found a basket that has a shape like yours in the 1967 Jordan's Import catalog. The catalog didn't have your bullicante decor shown. The star-shaped bases are very common for their pieces. My guess for your basket is that it is Murano glass of the type imported by JICO.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Alton11

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 01:01:01 AM »
Thanks for the info. I usually tend to stay away from unsigned/unlabled pieces...but for 5$ I figured whats the harm..I like it whatever
it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand