No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart flower previously doubted is back on e-bay  (Read 6391 times)

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
Re: Ysart flower previously doubted is back on e-bay
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
If calling a quite possibly innocent seller who doesnt know better on here a "con artist" is ok then what's wrong with me saying the con artists are the makers of the fakes and the dealers profiting and still profiting from the fakes as the real culprits.seems like one rule for some and not others.
I would also think calling someone a con artist is most probably libellous as the seller has now changed the listing and listed it correctly so where is the con.......do you have any proof the seller is a con artist??
No you haven't so my point stands your slating the wrong peeps most of the time and I stand by my statement.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
Basically, it's a Scottish Law thing and we don't want the gmb sued.
Well, I don't.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bigbri

• Members
    • knowledge
    • english lakes
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
Sue I don't want anyone sued esp the board I enjoy logging in etc every day seeing if I can help and things,its great fun but I don't think it's fair slating someone who in all probability doesn't know better and then to bombarded them with statements from those who do isn't right and then to share the I've emailed him this and I've emailed him that and he said that etc etc well it don't seem right.we have all bought duffers and sometimes it's takes a while to accept it doesn't it.the so called con artist has now described it properly so all you peeps who don't make mistakes can relax its all sorted now.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »
I never called the seller a con-artist - I'm just noseying in on the thread, bigbri - it's just the aspect of Scottish Law I'm pointing out. It's different to English Law.
I believe there is every possibility the seller was convinced by the "experts" they consulted - and why should they believe folk who write to them on ebay rather than what they believe to be experts, have said?
I'm pleased the listing has been corrected, and I hope they do very well with it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
looks likes it's back on again in the style of PY
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
If calling a quite possibly innocent seller who doesnt know better on here a "con artist" is ok ...
When I saw Frank's comment in the earlier post, I wondered whether to remove it as a breach of board policy. However, his comment was, I believe, a statement of what he had said in his email to the seller and therefore the seller was in a position to respond.

Perhaps I should have been more rigid in my interpretation of what deserves to be moderated.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
For the sake of the board, better to err on the side of caution, Kev.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flyboy90

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
In the early 90,s the backer of the Harland works told me that a quantity of PY canes were stolen and never recovered.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
In the early 90,s the backer of the Harland works told me that a quantity of PY canes were stolen and never recovered.

Not quite true there were some stolen but all were recovered by police according to Colin Terris. But in any case the way the canes are made in the fakes differs from those made by Paul.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
What is most irritating about the saga is that the story has been well documented and at the core this was based on Paul Ysart's own assertion that he did not make the weights.
That some have an interest in casting doubts on the original research based on assumptions is ignoring that most basic fact, in the market there are plenty who will assert that something is other than it seems and as we have seen will swing backwards and forwards as in the case of this weight. The have only one interest and that is to make a sale and they would rather base that sale on 'a name' than on the truth. That is utterly wrong - but I guess we cannot change the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand