No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Magnificent Vaseline Pair - Trophy Shape - Engraved - Maker? ID = USG/Tiffin  (Read 1043 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I apologize for the pic not being the best quality but I had to take it with my phone.

This is an image of one of a pair of these vases. I am trying to figure out who made them. They are likely of U.S. Origins, but I am not sure. The vases are large standing at around 11 or 12 inches and have a fairly basic engraved flower on the front and rear of each vase.  There are also alternating vertical areas engraved in the upper outward edge of the mouth as seen in the image.

They have a glow in natural light....  they definitely have some age, but how old, I am not sure of... Maybe 1900 - 1920??

Any information would be helpful.

As always....TIA

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Magnificent Vaseline Pair - Trophy Shape - Engraved - Maker? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »
Craig you are correct USG/Tiffin #15144 Handled trophy Vase, early to late 30s. On my monitor they appear to be Reflex Green, but if they are in fact Yellow then they are Canary...sometimes Canary photographs green...happens all the time. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Magnificent Vaseline Pair - Trophy Shape - Engraved - Maker? Help!!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:00:27 AM »
Hi Ken, The image is actually correct to color.

I went and looked at colors on the internet and I would say they are the Canary and not Reflex green based on images on the internet....

Thanks for the quick ID....  Generally not my style of glass, but I have to admit that this pair, especially due to the color and size are very striking....  They want a ton of money for them though.... but it could be right.... Not my area of expertise... not that I really have one... an area of expertise that is....

Thanks again....

(edited to change color)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Craig...even in Canary these are not anywhere near scarce, just slightly uncommon in Canary  & although Canary is better than Reflex Green a realistic price would be $80-$90 each anywhere in the U.S. & thats it. Reflex & Blue are 20% below that. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks again Ken,

There was a pair of these sold on ebay recently for $255. The dealer in the mall where I saw them has the pair of them at $475. Seemed quite high for what they appeared to be, hence my post to find out if my gut was right.....

The thought crossed my mind that the ebay buyer was the mall seller.....  A little unusual to find a pair.... 

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand