No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Galle vase - is this wheel carved or acid etched please?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Galle vase - is this wheel carved or acid etched please?
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
I'm trying to understand the difference between what is wheel carved cameo and what is acid etched.
I have a vase (not Galle) that has a similar surface to this and I assumed it was acid etched.
So is this vase wheel carved as it states or is it acid etched please?

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11720132_galle-early-enameled-wheel-carved-vase

edited to add: I've finally found a picture that enlarges of wheel carved glass here  from Bonhams http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19978/lot/2020/

There is a difference between the two finishes as far as I can see  :-\
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Galle vase - is this wheel carved or acid etched please?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Looks acid etched to me,a bit difficult without holding the piece to be certain, ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
I'm even less sure now than I was to be honest. 
 I've just found another that I can get a real close up on, a Daum vase sold by Christie's and it looks the same as the first one I linked to and is also described as wheel carved.  Perhaps you can't judge from photos by the finish on the 'background'.
I need to get to more museums lol.
m

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »
As I recall, wheel ground leaves thin parallel lines from the diamond or sand coating on the wheel (if you catch it in reflective light). Where as acid leaves the dimpled (melted) look to the surface that you see around the Galle signature in the liveauctioneers photo.
But how easy it is to see depends on what has been used afterwards to polish the surface.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
It could be both. Many times etched pieces were then taken and wheel cut to give some sharper edge details and vice versa. Wheel cut pieces were many times acid polished after cutting. It's difficult to be sure exactly what the exact procedure was used on many pieces. Some companies and individuals had techniques that they used to give unique appearances. I'd question any of the experts who haven't done a fair amount of different techniques and combinations of techniques themselves. Amazing what can be accomplished in today's world with even sandblasting. Copper wheel, stone wheel, and diamond wheel cutting all give different results depending upon who is doing it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
Thank you both for replying :)
Tom that makes sense.  I think I need to do a whole lot more 'looking at' to try and be able to 'see' what has gone on in a vase before I would be able to tell and then it would probably still be difficult.  :-\
m

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:38:22 AM »
been making glass and involved with glass companies for 40 years and I still see some items that I'm not sure how they were made. Some colors still can't be reproduced. Corning Museum has some pieces that they are still not sure  how they were created. That's the beauty of the material

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand