Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > British & Irish Glass

Sowerby glass cups

(1/3) > >>

mhgcgolfclub:
A nice find today a set of 6 Sowerby small cups all in pristine condition date lozenge for 1st Jan 1875. Hard to believe that they could have survived altogether for 137 years or so.

Roy

Paul S.:
Nice find Roy  -  but do you not think that part of the reason for their surviving complete could be because they were pressed much later than 1875.         Unfortunately, I can't shove the Sowerby CD into the pc and check to see for how long this item was available - machine no behaving. :'(     

mhgcgolfclub:
Paul I be very interested to know how long the cups were made for as I do not have there Sowerby CD,s maybe I should invest in them if that information is included. I seem to be more of a book person.

Thanks Roy

Paul S.:
for collectors of pressed glass, the three volume CD set is invaluable - although they deal with Sowerby only of course.   
The information is based on the detailed work and research of Glen and Stephen Thistlewood and covers the whole of the Sowerby period.
My comments were based on the obvious fact that probably all pressed glass makers offered most of their designs/patterns for longer than the initial year of registration  -  and in some instances for many years afterwards.
I'll see if I can get my discs to work :)

Paul S.:
o.k. we're in business Roy.

The earliest that I can find this item is in the Sowerby Illustrated Pattern Book No. XI dated 1885 -  lower half of page 14 under the heading of 'Cans and Seidels; Custards and Jellies' - obviously it was sold as a Custard.     The pattern/design No. for this frosted finish with flower decoration is 1088, and the same No. also covers a slightly taller item with similar decoration which is presumably the jelly (as the handle is absent).    Both the jelly and custard are accompanied by the image of a diamond lozenge.

On page 31 of the same Pattern Book, the identical decoration is shown on what are described as 'Finger Cups' (possibly what we might now describe as finger bowls).  -  and these are designated as pattern/design Nos. 1074 and 1074.1/2  -  these also are shown linked to design lozenges.

Whether this design is shown in print earlier than 1885, I don't know  -  although it will of course be in the Registers at Kew.

The only subsequent catalogue that I can see which illustrates the custard cup is Pattern Book XV dated September 1895 (page 27)  -  always possible that the absence of these items from later catalogues was due to a lack of demand - perhaps the 'custard cup' had had its day.

What might be the reason for the diamond lozenge being shown against this particular pattern/design - although obviously I'm aware that lozenges are shown against others in the catalogue.

Ref.      CD format of 'Sowerby's Ellison Glass Works - Volum Three - A Celebration of Sowerby'.         Glen & Stephen Thistlewood 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version