No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for uranium canoes - ID = Burtles and Tate  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for uranium canoes - ID = Burtles and Tate
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »
had a feeling I'd seen this design somewhere on the GMB in the past, but now don't have a clue where - unfortunately no marks that I can find  -  and four small feet on each.          About 7" (175mm) long.       Grateful if anyone is able to enlighten me.      Sorry pix aren't too great, and they do fluoresce in case anyone does wonder.      thanks for looking :).

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: id request for uranium canoes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
Paul they are Burtles and Tate its not that easy to find one of them RD44445

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »
wonderful news Roy - many thanks indeed for your quick reply.        Must admit they initially made me think Continental or States rather than the U.K. - so just shows how wrong you can be - and for those who, like me, didn't know, the design was first registered in March 1886.
P.S.     I was tempted to break out in a verse or two of 'The Good Ship Venus' ;)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »
Quite a find three turning up together  :o

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:46:10 AM »
I agree to find one would be good but 3 is WOW , I have never found one myself yet well done a great find.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for uranium canoes - ID = Burtles and Tate
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
thanks for the interest.      No doubt there's a simple explanation, but I was intrigued by the figurehead of one end the centre canoe, the head of which is upturned rather than looking down.       The other five heads are all positioned with a downward look  -  it's just the one which seems to have been modeled differently.         I thought the piece had an overall sort of Viking look - off to Valhalla or similar :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand