Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Monart ! WMF ? or something else  (Read 1354 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Monart ! WMF ? or something else
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »
OK, I guess it might be worth adding my two'penny worth.

In my experience bowls like the one in Gary's question have not turned out to be Monart.

I would say that using eBay for 'sleuthing' is very much like asking the blind to take the lead :o ??? How do you know whether the seller knows their stuff? Some do, many do not.....so how then do you know you'er getting the correct attribution?

I my lmited experience of bowls like this that I've either owned, or handled, over the years I cannot remember one that turned out to be Monart. They fall into two categories, the light weight and the heavy(ier).

The lightweight have a multitude of irregular bubbles that bulge through the surface, which is not so shiney, perhaps even toward the matt with an unpolished pontil mark. Conversely, the heavier ones have a shiney surface and a polished pontil mark; the body is thicker walled, so the bubbles do not bulge to the surface in the same way. These pieces also tend to have a ridged base, sometimes even a cylindrical base with several ridges before it meets the bowl.

The bowl in question is the latter.

Neither bowls have a definitive attribution. Although, on occasion, they have been WMF, others have not been proven to be so.

I own a very large vase and a wavy bowl that I have never been able to give a positive makers name to. Therefore, my vote would be NOT Monart, and not necessarily WMF.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEHR-SELTENE-KLEINE-WMF-IKORA-GLAS-VASE-BLAU-PINK-/160731244321?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item256c542721
this vase is advertised as rare wmf.  The blue looks very similar. 
if it is definitely WMF then perhaps the bowl is also? I haven't time to go through the WMF book at the moment but will try and do so tomorrow.
m

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
This was also a rare WMF vase that I sold a couple of years ago of similar colours.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30527.0.html

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
 ???

That's silver chloride yellows with teals, mhcolfclub, not cobalt blue and orange... and the colurway is not what I'd classify as rare (but then, that's a word I avoid, preferring "scarce") - I've seen several lamps in it. I do love it, but  just ain't paying WMF prices. ;D
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
but the shape and the colours (teal and silver chlorides) may be rare for WMF Sue  :)
I'll go through the book later and see what I can see regarding the OP item and the colours.
I'm not very sure about WMF scarcity items at all...I don't see enough or know anything about the colour availability (which I think affects scarcity??) or the Unica items,
but I'll see if there might be a match in the book for this blue and orange.
I'm hopeful I've just bought an amethyst WMF vase but still waiting to hear on it  ::)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
I was following the original thread on mr golfclub's piece, ff, given my propensity for teal with silver chloride effects!
I have seen a fair few bits in this colourway since - I originally thoughtMr. Golfclub's bit might be a scarce bit of Mdina!
(with the really scarce bits, you have no idea what shape or form they might be in - you simply have to study the glass and the techniques and colours - which can be difficult with images only!)
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
Yes, there are some amazing Unica pieces in the book - I would never have guessed they were WMF from seeing them without information.  I hadn't realised about the silver chlorides and teal Sue, I must keep an eye out.  Unfortunately most WMF that I seem to like is out of my price range  :-X
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
I did make a rather spectacular WMF purchase myself recently. On a very low BIN, everybody was ignoring it because it was in Eire and the postage was high.
However, when you added theBIN and the postage together - it was still a *remarkable* bargain.
It was completely beyond me why nobody else snapped it up.  ???
Still, my gain!  8) And the seller was a lovely person who posted it in the north for me, so saving my postage costs anyway - and it was the best wrapped piece I've ever recieved. The massive box even had a proper carrying handle attached firmly to it.

The whiteish/silvery crackle effect in it is all elongated bubbles - not the usual thing at all, and it's uranium too!
Will have to post pics sometime. I don't think it's a particularly scarce design - but the elongated, ariel-like bubbles are a feature I've not seen before.
Cheers, Sue (M)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: I don't think this is Monart - any ideas?
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
Paul, I think Gary started a thread on this very item a few days ago...I'll try and find a link for you.
m

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand