No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart ! WMF ? or something else  (Read 5468 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Monart ! WMF ? or something else
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »
OK, I guess it might be worth adding my two'penny worth.

In my experience bowls like the one in Gary's question have not turned out to be Monart.

I would say that using eBay for 'sleuthing' is very much like asking the blind to take the lead :o ??? How do you know whether the seller knows their stuff? Some do, many do not.....so how then do you know you'er getting the correct attribution?

I my lmited experience of bowls like this that I've either owned, or handled, over the years I cannot remember one that turned out to be Monart. They fall into two categories, the light weight and the heavy(ier).

The lightweight have a multitude of irregular bubbles that bulge through the surface, which is not so shiney, perhaps even toward the matt with an unpolished pontil mark. Conversely, the heavier ones have a shiney surface and a polished pontil mark; the body is thicker walled, so the bubbles do not bulge to the surface in the same way. These pieces also tend to have a ridged base, sometimes even a cylindrical base with several ridges before it meets the bowl.

The bowl in question is the latter.

Neither bowls have a definitive attribution. Although, on occasion, they have been WMF, others have not been proven to be so.

I own a very large vase and a wavy bowl that I have never been able to give a positive makers name to. Therefore, my vote would be NOT Monart, and not necessarily WMF.

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEHR-SELTENE-KLEINE-WMF-IKORA-GLAS-VASE-BLAU-PINK-/160731244321?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item256c542721
this vase is advertised as rare wmf.  The blue looks very similar. 
if it is definitely WMF then perhaps the bowl is also? I haven't time to go through the WMF book at the moment but will try and do so tomorrow.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
This was also a rare WMF vase that I sold a couple of years ago of similar colours.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30527.0.html

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
 ???

That's silver chloride yellows with teals, mhcolfclub, not cobalt blue and orange... and the colurway is not what I'd classify as rare (but then, that's a word I avoid, preferring "scarce") - I've seen several lamps in it. I do love it, but  just ain't paying WMF prices. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
but the shape and the colours (teal and silver chlorides) may be rare for WMF Sue  :)
I'll go through the book later and see what I can see regarding the OP item and the colours.
I'm not very sure about WMF scarcity items at all...I don't see enough or know anything about the colour availability (which I think affects scarcity??) or the Unica items,
but I'll see if there might be a match in the book for this blue and orange.
I'm hopeful I've just bought an amethyst WMF vase but still waiting to hear on it  ::)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
I was following the original thread on mr golfclub's piece, ff, given my propensity for teal with silver chloride effects!
I have seen a fair few bits in this colourway since - I originally thoughtMr. Golfclub's bit might be a scarce bit of Mdina!
(with the really scarce bits, you have no idea what shape or form they might be in - you simply have to study the glass and the techniques and colours - which can be difficult with images only!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
Yes, there are some amazing Unica pieces in the book - I would never have guessed they were WMF from seeing them without information.  I hadn't realised about the silver chlorides and teal Sue, I must keep an eye out.  Unfortunately most WMF that I seem to like is out of my price range  :-X
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
I did make a rather spectacular WMF purchase myself recently. On a very low BIN, everybody was ignoring it because it was in Eire and the postage was high.
However, when you added theBIN and the postage together - it was still a *remarkable* bargain.
It was completely beyond me why nobody else snapped it up.  ???
Still, my gain!  8) And the seller was a lovely person who posted it in the north for me, so saving my postage costs anyway - and it was the best wrapped piece I've ever recieved. The massive box even had a proper carrying handle attached firmly to it.

The whiteish/silvery crackle effect in it is all elongated bubbles - not the usual thing at all, and it's uranium too!
Will have to post pics sometime. I don't think it's a particularly scarce design - but the elongated, ariel-like bubbles are a feature I've not seen before.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: I don't think this is Monart - any ideas?
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
Paul, I think Gary started a thread on this very item a few days ago...I'll try and find a link for you.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand