No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frog Frog, Who made me?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
Frog Frog, Who made me?
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
Hello everyone,
despite trawling the net I am none the wiser to who made this figural flower frog of a frog. Where I have seen images it has been listed as maker unknown.
The frog has been made in a three part mold and appears to be sitting amongst water hyacinths and reeds (or maybe iris's). Its overall height is 18cm approx (14.5 from top of disc to top of frog) and the diameter is approx.  I haven't found any markings or numbers on it.
If any body recognises it and could add a picture of the bowl which he should sit in that would be super as the odd picture I have found on the net with this frog in a bowl I've felt that the bowl was not correct for this frog.
Cheers
meegs

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
Re: Frog Frog, Who made me?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
Hi there

Libochovice is the maker I believe

Cheers
Brenton

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
Thank-you Brenton, do you know what the bowl this frog goes with looks like?
Cheers
meegs

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »
Hi again

Often seen this item sitting on the penguin's float bowl, but I do think there are other bowls for it, perhaps the one with the storks as shown in Pamela's website under the unknown section.

Cheers
Brenton

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »
Thanks Brenton,
I'll display the frog with a spare "Penguins Bowl" as it is neutral in theme.
Do you mean these storks? I like the idea of using the Storks swimming fish bowl however it does not fit the Frog frog as the diameter of the base of the storks (9 1/2cm approx) is much larger than that of the frog (6 1/2 cm approx) and the bowl has an inner lip to fit/secure the stork frog neatly inside.
.....I seem to be confusing myself with Inwald and Libochoive figural frogs at the moment
Time to retire for the evening!!!!
Cheers
meegs

Offline rosecottagesales

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »
Hiya

No, thats flamingos and its from another maker (Inwald). The bowl I was referring can be seen in Pamela's website. If you click on the figurine / centrepieces page, you can find an example under the unknown section B

Cheers
Brenton

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:52 PM »
I've had a look through the catalogue for Libochovice before 1958, on the  Sklo Union CD, but don't see this frog.         Plenty of other animals and birds, but not this.              Does give a new meaning to the expression flower frog though ;)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »
Hi Meegs... Schweig, Muller & Co., could be a possible contender? This bowl by Walther & Sohne would suit it nicely! Seerosen (lily) pattern. Finding one in clear frosted glass will not be easy... 

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
Thanks Paul, although I grouped the 3 satin/frosted clear frogs together because of there similarities there are many differences too. The frog feels smoother/softer than the other two he has 10 flower holes versus 8 for the others and the finish on these holes is different. The holes are more flared or have a much greater diameter on the bottom side  than the top side on the duck and penguin where as the frogs the diameter looks the same top and bottom.

Brenton, yes I see what you mean, I'll have to put that bowl on the want list!

John, finding any quality figural pressed glass in Australasia is not easy! Pieces are snapped up quickly by collectors and prices are usually much more in excess locally of what is available on e-bay (including shipping/customs costs). Having said that I perhaps we (the collectors) are prepared to pay more when you can physically handle the piece before purchase!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions,
meegs

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
Hi
Know what you mean about glass being snapped up by collectors usually by collectors in your own backyard such as Oz.
I get annoyed myself when Australians want all glass in UK but aren't prepared to part with any of their own...tight as a ducks bum as we would say.
Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand