No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Master sample paperweight  (Read 2181 times)

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Master sample paperweight
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
I have a dragonfly paperweight that has etched on the base- William Manson SNR 2003-Paul Ysart Tribute Weight-Master Sample. Is a master sample more desirable than other weights and does the Ysart reference make it more unique? It also has wm cane on the base.

Thanks for any info in general or on this specific weight if you can help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
Re: Master sample paperweight
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 09:59:39 AM »
Hi Marc,

I really like that weight of Willie Manson; a real tribute to Paul Ysart indeed.

Now to your question: I suspect that the Master sample is a little bit more desirable as it is the model for the limited edition.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
It's an interesting question.

The master sample seems to be identical to the production items except that it has 38 canes in the garland whereas my example (marked No. 7 of 100) has 47 canes in the garland. My example looks, to me, to be "crisper" than the master sample because it has more canes and they are smaller and very evenly set.

Are there 47 garland canes in all the actual production examples? I don't know.

But is a weight more desirable because it proves an evolution from the initial design idea (i.e., it was presumably seen by the maker as in need of some improvement)? Perhaps. I suppose it depends on an individual's reasons for buying it.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
Would not the number of canes in such a large ring be totally dependent on the size of the cross section?

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Sophie and Kev.

This is very interesting to me that we have the master sample and a numbered issue to compare. Based on the different number of canes in the garland I'm curious if the weights are the same size.The dimensions on the master sample are 2 15/16" wide by 1 15/16 high." Also, the wm cane on the bottom actually shows as a white P on the top side left of the dragonfly.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
Size of mine is slightly smaller (1/16 inch difference in diameter and 2/16 inch in height), which is effectively the same size.

A signature cane showing through was probably unintentional, but as the ground is a mottled, delicate pink, it may not be surprising. That could have been something noticed in the master copy and dealt with later by ensuring the cane was set below a slightly thicker section of pink, which seems to be the case with my example. However without Willie Manson's input, my thoughts are just speculation.
KevinH

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:17:21 PM »
I have master sample and also one of the original ltd edition of 50 Octopus weights by Willie.  The master sample is much much bigger than the ltd edn weight, and has more shells and so on inside it.

Ian

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
Picture of them, along with the 1980 caithness blue Octopus by Willie.  Master Sample weight really is massive!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/20121216_2026250_zpsc4b35d59.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand