No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baccarat Mushroom without a date cane?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Baccarat Mushroom without a date cane?
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
This weight is 3 1/4" wide by 2 1/2" high and does not have a date cane. Is there any reason why Baccarat included date canes in some weights and not in others? Also, can the specific canes identify precisely what year the weight was made?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Baccarat Mushroom without a date cane?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »
I think it would be unusual to have a mushroom with a signature and date cane.  The ones that I have are unsigned. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mmarc77

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
Thanks Allan. That helps as I was unaware the mushroom don't normally have a date cane.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »

I have owned maybe 10 Baccarat mushrooms. None had a date / signature cane. If you have one with them, cherish it!

As for dating the weight from the canes, my view is - 'No, not possible. Not remotely possible.' Some of the lengths of the canes that were made remained on the storage shelves, and pieces were brought out from time to time, so a weight could contain canes many years old.

I have visited Saint-Louis on a couple of occasions, and their cane store is a joy to behold: I suspect some examples are over 50 years old, and a few might even be from the 19th century.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand