No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I don't think this is nineteenth century ?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
I don't think this is nineteenth century ?
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »
Hi all.

Bought this weight with a description that it was 19th cent baccarat, but I suspect it is 20th century. It has a baccarat sticker on the base which I am guessing was an invention of the 20th cent..... Is it a baccarat?

Don

Mod: As no indication of permission for use has been given, the cropped versions of the eBay images have been removed in accordance with board guidelines. For now, please refer to the closed eBay listing to view images.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: I don't think this is nineteenth century ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
Looks like Baccarat Dupont, seems to be some very different dates over these, some saying 1850's, others 1920s/30s.  Did you buy it on ebay recently?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:58:20 PM »
yes I bought this on friday on Ebay france

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »

On the limited information the images provide, I would vote for antique Baccarat. Can you post a profile view that shows where the canes are set relative to the base, and also the shape of the dome?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »
Hope these are better images

Don

Images removed. Please see "Mod:" comment in initial post.

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
Sorry if I have breached any guidlines.... I have bought the weight but as yet it has not arrived with me... I was just interested to know if it was as described

Don

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
Hi All, while doing some research on early Baccarat Paperweights, there is reference to 'paper labels applied to paperweights from 1860'. When would have production of this type of weight ended ....if it is from this period?... This could pin down the date of this weight to a period from 1860 to ------?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccarat_%28company%29

Many thanks
Don

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »

I have heard of paper labels from the 19th century, but never seen any, so a cast iron guaranteed example would be fascinating. As for the period when Baccarat made weights, I think that they kept producing at a relatively low rate all the way from the 1860s throught to the 1920s - 1930s. There are pansies and rock grounds around that are engraved as presents from the Eiffel Tower (also cast iron  ;D ), so they were still making paperweights in the late 1880s - 1890s.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
Hi All, I have now got the paperweight, and have taken these two photos, one of them showing the paper label that is on the base. It is in the same style as the modern acid etch, but is clearly old. I have read that labels were applied from 1860, so is this weight from the 1860's?

Happy New Year to all and hope 2013 is a prosperous one for you all

Don

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
Hi Don.

Nice to see the label image. I have tried to find an original source for the assertion that Baccarat used paper labels from 1860 onwards, but can only find dubious things like eBay guides or simplistic websites (the sort that peddle nonsense by just repeating out of date or incorrect material from elsewhere - for a laugh (or cry) look at some of the Hobbizine stuff on English paperweights!). Can anyone point me in the right direction for the Baccarat label information?

Looking at your first picture, and seeing the canes in detail, I think this may be a Dupont weight from the 1920s.  Can you provide a side view image? Dupont tend to have rather straight sides near the base, and the canes set low down in the dome.

Alan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand