Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: ID Help please - Very strange piece!  (Read 578 times)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
ID Help please - Very strange piece!
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Hi to you all... A friend brought me this piece back from New York in the mid 1980s. Hand luggage! It's very odd to say the least. It stands 47 inches and the base is 7 inches diameter. The pontil is unground. I have taken a pic next to me car to provide scale. Chuhali, has been mentioned but only as a guess. It.s in the style perhaps, but it doesn't look flamboyant enough to me. Any ideas would be very welcome. I haven't got a clue, except to say it's American, freeblown, and weighs a ton!  It has a very slight iridescence to the top. Many thanks. John

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
Re: ID Help please - Very strange piece!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
... Sorry, I may have been better by placing this in with the USA glass?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »
All queries should start in plain "glass". They can be shifted (lovely mods again!) to the correct place when id. is established.

I'm clueless about this monster of yours - however, I have carted home some Beranek "Tropical flowers" on the bus - in several trips - to get them all home, three at a time. I wasn't leaving them sitting in TKMaxx at £5 each!
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
...Haaa, I don't even think TKMAX have shelf-space for this! I don't even know how much was paid for it either. I'd say it was a Yard of Ale, if had not come back from USA! I'll keep an eye on where post things in the future... "sorry again" to The Mod's and thank you chopin-liszt

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »
Do you not find you're a bit scared of it?
The Tropical flowers are scary - the great long thin rod of glass, with a very heavy top part... my rods are slowly bending under the weight!
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
I'm frightened of knocking the damned thing over! Until I find out what it is! A hat rack perhaps? Even though it is hollow, the top is not accommodating for flower stems etc. It's not really my kind of thing, but as it was gift I have to live with it AND feed it...  I think I have seen one or two flowers that you mention. I believe they are produced in Malta or Cyprus. Thick-heavy petals??? Are they the ones?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
There are some pics of my flowers here;
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45707.10.html
I would very much doubt they were made in Malta - Mdina (and related glass) is my area, John.
Beranek is Czech.

What do you feed your beast - and how often? And what happens if you don't?
Cheers, Sue (M)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
Oh My Word! Those glass flowers would eat my piece alive! lol. They are not what I thought them to be... as for my "Beast" it is only ever fed out of doors and from a distance, with shards of PYREX, though it can be partial this time of year to lengths of tinsel, steeped in opalescent brandy... 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
How unusual - I thought most pets needed to be kept away from eating tinsel - or there can be a "sausage" effect at the far end later on (that's if the intestines are not tied up in knots and the poor beast is not carted off the the vet)  ;D .
Cheers, Sue (M)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
I am reluctant to take that risk with this piece. It has a tendency to morph into a Inwald flower frog...  ;D

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand