No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help please - Very strange piece!  (Read 2521 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: ID Help please - Very strange piece!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Have you been feeding it after midnight?  :o
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
It must NEVER, EVER be fed before the stroke of 12! I should have mentioned that...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
So that's why there's a knot in its neck - so you can stop anything eaten at the wrong side of midnight getting into the body proper!

Have you any idea of the location it came from? And would it have been made locally to that?
Did your friend, who went to all the effort of carrying it as hand luggage (how did he get it to fit into the set hand luggage dimensions?) not have the slightest clue about it?

Do you think it was an artist just having a bit of fun and seeing what happened if he swung it around a bit?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
Well. All that I can say or know about this piece, is that its was purchased in New York circa 1982 (or thereabouts). I have been a glass blower myself and going by its size & weight, would have required more than just one person to produce it... and a very large annealing oven. An end of day item perhaps, or a bit of fun? I can see the appeal of such a work as an interior display within the right setting. I do not know if it was purchased from an antique mall or an art studio. Never been to New York myself.... having it today as hand luggage would probably get you imprisoned as a terrorist suspect. I'd certainly not chance it.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
Ok, clue number one.

Who, in those environs, HAD a massive annealing oven in a studio, circa 1980?

And you're a glassblower yourself? Pretty please, can you show us what you've made?

(I've had fun trying to get bits of glass through customs myself... I've had to unwrap my parcels and do a glassy show-and-tell a few times. Not that I ever mind a chance to educate folk about the beauty of glass.  8) )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
I have sent a few pics of some of my early works to the post on this site which is discussing Lamp Work. I have less than five of my own pieces remaining. Some may even remember me whilst I traded as "Breaking Glass" in the Drummond Centre, Croydon,Surrey and also in Chruch Street, at INSHOPS. I could make the stuff quick enough, it used to fly from the shelves. Also, as I very much doubt that I shall ever glass blow again (unless someone would care to employ me??? and all of my designs) I have lots of equipment for sale if anybody is interested. Mainly tools (some carbon) lots of borosilicate tubing and a six-burner Oxy/Gas lamp, gauges & valves etc. And sorry, I do not have an annealing oven, not even an American one... :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand