No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: uranium glass vase boulton and mills or stevens and williams or other  (Read 3789 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
Re: uranium glass vase boulton and mills or stevens and williams or other
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
here is a better photo of the rim
and yes m it has a dimple on the base.
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
Manley figures several similarly decorated pieces -  turquoise over opal bodies - and seems quite happy in attributing them to Boulton & Mills (partly on the basis of the turquoise  -  or what he calls  'weak blue' decoration).   
However................factors that may possibly be against this being B. & M. are  -

1.........the feet (which incidentally are apparently known as 'tall height, wishbone pattern in trailed glass).
2.........no clear casing over the crystal.
3.........pronged feet rather than a solid foot.

Although this style of pronged applied feet are known on British material (have a look at Gulliver where there are good examples of this type of foot together with leaf trail decoration), the examples shown by Manley all have solid feet - and when discussing origin he comments............."opal jug with blue decoration.  Cheap handle and weak blue colour helps to identify as Boulton & Mills c. 1910.     Only the extra weight and solid foot distinguishes it from a Continental specimen"

None of the pieces in Manley has a ground/beveled rim  - and as we know he makes no comment about uranium content.
Other pieces included in Manley - but which have coloured acanthus decoration and coloured inner bodies, - he assigns to S. & W., but differentiating pieces from the two factories seems to have no hard and fast rule....for example  -  opal casing over a colour can equally be either maker, and acanthus leaves are also from both factories.

Manley seems to consider this weak blue as being a specific  B. & M. characteristic.

Barry Skelcher is unconvinced, and believes ground/bevelled rims are a Continental feature.

Gulliver plays safe as usual, and is not prepared to make a positive attribution on almost all of these 'commonly decorated' types of popular glass.

Pronged feet, ground/beveled rim and a lack of a crystal casing, may well mean a more than 50/50 chance that this is Continental.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 05:12:02 PM »
Glassobsessed posted a vase recently which has a cut, ground and polished rim and which iirc has been identified as British.  I will try and find the link.
I'm not so sure about using Manley to decide what is Continental and what not?  I seem to recall there are a number of misattributions in his book although that may be because of the age of book and the knowledge available at the time? 
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
yes, I also understand that there has been some re-assessment of Manley's attributions, although I have to admit total ignorance about this sort of decorative Victorian glass, so make no comment myself - as so often, my information comes from books.

I believe that for some of his material, Manley had first hand knowledge, or had spoken to workers who remembered the manufacturing details etc. - although in this particular matter he doesn't explain exactly why he was so convinced that weak blue and opal was a Boulton & Mills feature.
Must admit that my thoughts on 'ground and bevelled rims being Continental' are tenuous to say the least, and are based on some information from somewhere where it was stated that this type of rim finish - on drinking glasses - was likely to be Continental.

You're quite right, of course, that rims with this finish can equally be British  -  see Gulliver - who, under the heading of Component Designs/Designs for Rims, includes ..........
Ground off, and polished.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »
thanks for all the info i think i am more confused now than before  ;D but that ain't hard to do.
i think i will agree its a nice uranium vase made in late victorian times
thanks
stew
there is always someone worse off .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
The trouble is nobody really knows about so many of these things. Manley and Skelcher are not always to be relied on for their attributions and even Gulliver shows things that are now known not to be British.
I personally have stopped worrying about who made what and go with
a nice uranium vase made in late Victorian times
I have a large collection of vases and baskets in white/cream uranium glass and only one unmarked pair and one marked vase have definitive IDs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand