No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: M.O.P vase??? Id help please.  (Read 2532 times)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
M.O.P vase??? Id help please.
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
G’evening all… This is one for you perhaps Craig, KevinH and/or Dirk… Am unsure about this piece. The yellowish colour is due to bad night light here, it is more white with the colour of M.O.P. & lustre. I would say continental, but who? It was not sold to me as being Mother of Pearl, and as can be seen it has a completely smooth surface. I now completely forget what the seller thought that it was. It has been cased thickly with crystal (see last photo of its stem) and the foot has a ground & polished base rim. The top (as like most intended for metal mesh tops) has been cut after the piece had cooled, and left rough to the touch. Top diam: 4”  Foot diam: 4”  Height: 8”  Any ideas please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: M.O.P vase??? Id help please.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Looks very much like Kralik although I've not seen one with a stem.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks Keith... I do have the same vase as yours pictured 3rd right and others which have "orange peel" surfaces, and yes I agree that my one with stem is not typical of these vase types, as far as I am aware. It is quite large too, or should I say, large for Kralik M.O.P. ???   

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
Perhaps not too large, I sold a large Kralik MoP rose bowl a few months ago, it was around 6" high and 10" in diameter.

Frustratingly I appear to have deleted the photos of it, while looking for an image I ran into this lot: Kralik group

Interesting because one photo shows the design in question with other bits of Kralik MoP.

John

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
Cheers John, will check them out.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
Glassobsessed/John... can you let me have your eMail address please? No probs if not. Many thanks. John

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 04:34:29 AM »
Interesting to see Mother of Pearl used in connection with this Kralik range, both capitalised and abbreviated.   I use mother of pearl uncapitalised and unabbreviated in connection with a similar range of iridescent non-airtrap fancy glass by Walsh, with the authority of Leibe/Hayhurst, Miller's Glass of the '20s & '30s, 1999, p22.   In the Walsh context, I would only capitalise it if I had evidence of Walsh use of the term.   I would never abbreviate it to MOP or MoP as unfortunately this is now standard collector terminology for airtrap, particularly in the US.

What is the term's status in respect of this Kralik range?

... and thanks.   I thought that this range was by Loetz!   You never stop learning.  ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
Hi Bernard C, No confusion intended  :-\  I was simply abreviating to save space whilst typing the heading and then got carried away with it!  :)  I do take your point though and agree with it. However "airtrap" is what I deem as being "Satin" in England "Mother of Pearl" in USA. I also do not know if Kralik "Mother of Pearl" is the correct terminolgogy for their such glass and/or who coined the phrase in the first place? John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 05:58:11 PM »
Here are a few Kralik examples: http://www.kralik-glass.com/kralikmoparray.html some of these designs come in a variety of sizes.

The large one I sold was in what I think of as the 'crystalline' shape: http://www.kralik-glass.com/kralik-images/mop/mop8.jpg

In my experience the colour can vary between almost white and ivory, it seems to depend on the fuming - I think more iridescence results in a yellower tone.

John, you can email me by clicking on the envelope icon to the left of my posts (you will need to be signed in here to see it though).

John

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
As said all shapes and sizes... ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum