No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Welz Strikes Again - And WOW is this a Statement!! Futurism in Glass  (Read 4138 times)

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
Re: Welz Strikes Again - And WOW is this a Statement!! Futurism in Glass
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »
.. I totally agree. There are so many working procedures going on upon these pieces. They are quite incredible.
I would like to 'feel' the glass. At first glance, it seems like the round motifs (for example) were worked separately, wafer-thin, and then applied, but then again the straight lined decoration bleeds out onto the body of the vase and so these must have surely been the last working procedure upon the round discs? It "could" be cold enamel, painted on afterwards. but again this just a guess. A tubular cutting tool could have again been used to grind the disc shapes. They certainly look to be cut, and in places even crudely. The brain-coral like bands of frosting, look to me to be acid bathed, having used a resist which was engraved into by hand at random. It is the various thicknesses of these vases which have me thinking... They are unquestionably the works of genius, with a total understanding of their craft. Simply gorgeous.  PRICELESS even. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. J

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Re: Welz Strikes Again - And WOW is this a Statement!! Futurism in Glass
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 07:09:27 PM »
detail 2 appears to me that the texture was definitely glue chipped. nice edges were achieved by using wax resists. possibly much of the other reliefs were done by using multiple etchings and wax resists  to achieve this look. With wax you can get extremely fine details. I still have a few etched plates that were used to pick up wax designs from and that were then tranferred to the glass and then etched.  There are definitely a lot of very fine coldworking techniques and decorating techniques being used on these pieces. Would love to see them in real life.
Controlling the enameling may have been easier once the etching of fine detail was established.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand