No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Feel like ive found gold!!! But what is it any ideas welcome!!!  (Read 4045 times)

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Feel like ive found gold!!! But what is it any ideas welcome!!!
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:20:51 PM »
Purchased this lovely mug recently and im over the moon with it it measures 5" tall 3" wide excluding handle a good tankard or mug size yet its very heavily made thick wall glass,  Guessing made this way for the i think copper wheel engraving to be done this is very deep especially on the tree trunk a few millimetres anyway. There is so much goin on with this piece the handle is a different coloured greenish coloured glass and the body amethyst some of the amethyst has passed into the handle and reminds me of cloud glass. The amethyst has different tones which adds a lot to the engraving. The base has a very large deep pontil scar and lots of wear to the edge of this im thinking it might be 19th century or earlier english or bohemian very wide guess thats why ive listed it here would love to get another view thanks for looking hope you like it. ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
Re: Feel like ive found gold!!! But what is it any ideas welcome!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »
more pictures

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
Now that is interesting, as the amethyst in the handle is deliberate. Lovely!

bfg

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
that tree is an absolute spit of the one on my Rowland Ward safari bowl and it was engraved by Moser, same area perhaps?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
I think I'd rather have found this than gold - it is absolutely stunning. Clearly a top maker, whoever it is!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
That's just beautiful.  The colour combination is superb.  Is the engraving showing as clear on the amethyst background as well?  I love it!
m

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »
Moser was my first thought as well. it's fantastic!

Offline glasskillian

• Members
    • england
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
Thankyou for commenting on this item im so glad it seems to be popular as it was when i opened the box  ::)
Also im interested in the moser???? I dont know much about them and only seem to see heavily surface decorated pieces when i think of moser glass.. Ive added some extra photo's to show engraving hope it helps flying free...
thankyou for comments

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
Moser and Harrach both did intaglio and shallower engraving on glass in the late 1800s (1885-1915 approx) of very high quality.  Some of the other bohemian refiners also did very high quality work of this type (the glass schools of Haida, Goldberg, Josepheninhuette, muhlhaus..... there were some master engravers that worked for Josephinenhuette and Harrach but those would be signed most likely.) But Harrach and Moser are the houses that generally are thought of first for this kind of thing.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 05:36:16 AM »
I hate to throw a wet towel on the subject, but this is far from master engraver material.  It's lovely, and unusual to see in such a color combination and style of mug, but the engraving is not extraordinary or very difficult.  The bottom makes me think not Moser.  It seems like it would be rather peculiar for any of the major Bohemian/Czech makers because there's no flat part.  Doesn't it seem like there's at lease a flat ground ring on the bottom of most Bohemian glass, if any grinding is done on the bottom?  Maybe I'm wrong there.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of wear to the bottom. 
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand