No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Caithness harlequin or a Paul Ysart maybe?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
is this a Caithness harlequin or a Paul Ysart maybe?
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
It has some pretty canes and squiggly ridged canes in and some aventurine that looks red but has come out gold in the pic so presumably gold over a pink or red bit of cane or something.
Flat polished base, canes set on a thin translucent green ground. 
No signature cane as far as I can see.
Any help much appreciated.
Many thanks  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
Re: is this a Caithness harlequin or a Paul Ysart maybe?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Hi there.

Caithness or Paul Ysart?  The answer could be yes or yes and yes.  He did of course work at Caithness.  But more likely made by someone else at Caithness under the master's direction.   

I've seen examples with PH canes (for Peter Holmes) or simply CG cane (for Caithness Glass).   Sometimes the cane is well hidden.   Tends to be on the circular ridge halfway from centre to edge.

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Thanks for that :) I'll have another good look. 
The aventurine is red which is nice, and the centre of one of the canes has a flower shape that is also red aventurine as is one of the 'fusilli' twists.  It's got interesting canes and colours in it.
Does your answer mean it could either be Caithness made by someone else, or Caithness made by Paul Ysart, or Paul Ysart not made at Caithness please?
m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »

What is the base like? Polished flat, or with a distinct pontil mark?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
It's polished completely flat Alan.  I just added a query to my reply above, as I wasn't quite sure about where it might have been made.  If it's polished flat does that mean it could not have been made by Paul Ysart elsewhere? or does it negate it being a Paul Ysart weight completely please?
thanks
m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

I don't think the flat base gives definitive information, other than on age. Flat polished is typical of the Caithness and later Harland versions of this design. It could be by Paul, but I think it is hard if not impossible to say who made precisely which harlequin paperweights at either of those two places, unless they are signed in some way.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:47 PM »
Thank you Alan.    I had read that aventurine was used less frequently later on, and was  wondering if aventurine was used at Caithness, which might have helped decide on where perhaps - or trying to match the canes as I thought one of them was a match for another weight I'd seen, but presumably the canes may have been used by whomever was making the weight and were not specific to Paul Ysart then?
I really don't think there is a signature cane in the weight.
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
Hi m, a later Harland one here in my album, flat polished base with a rather squashed 'H' cane clearly visible in the base, had a few Harland ones and all had the signature cane  in the base if that helps any. Probably not made by him personally or so I have learned.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/PaulYsartHarlequinPaperweightHCane

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
Thank you Chris.  Sorry but your links don't work for me.  Chris did you mean mine was probably not made by him or yours i.e. ones with an H cane in?
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
Hi m, all I can tell you about is the Harland weights with the 'H' canes were more likely made by others working under him than by Paul himself.
Not sure why the link is not working....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand