No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Martinuzzi - Vittoriale vase copy: is it worth something?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline fbenenato

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • Italy
Martinuzzi - Vittoriale vase copy: is it worth something?
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »
Hi
i have bought a copy of martinuzzi - vittoriale vase: i see the way it is crafted resembles in some way the pulegoso tecnique, but on the surface it hasn't as many protruding little bubbles as the original ones: anyway, would it be worth something ? On the bottom there is no acid stamp sign, but only a badly hand written Venini - murano, but the sign seems very fake
Thanks to any of you should reply.

Francesco

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Martinuzzi - Vittoriale vase copy: is it worth something?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:56:54 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board :)  I'm afraid I know nothing about Murano glass but hopefully someone will be along shortly who will be able to give you more information.  Your vase is pretty magnificent even though it may be a copy.  Is it possible for you to post a clear picture of the base please with a clear picture of the 'signature' mark?
Many thanks
m

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Martinuzzi - Vittoriale vase copy: is it worth something?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:46:39 AM »
Francesco -- TxSilver again. I had answered this on another board, but I'll answer again here. The signature on bottom is not real. It looks like it was made with a diamond point pen. The glass is too shiny and bright for Martinuzzi. Martinuzzi used paste glass for the pulegoso pieces he designed for Venini. (This is something I learned recently from one of our members.) It made the glass very opaque and not so shiny as this. What I suspect for your vase, Francesco, is that it is a reproduction, perhaps made in Murano. Many of the classic pieces are being reproduced on the island. We see a good many of them being sold from Venice on eBay. Most have quality that is not so good.

I thought perhaps the vase could have been done by Venini in a different type of glass, but the surface, signature, and base make me think that it is simply a vase made to look like Martinuzzi's. These details do not fit the work coming from Venini. I do like the handles on your vase, though.

I could be wrong and would love it if I am. All arguments are welcome.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand