No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight with Insert Shield on base  (Read 1617 times)

Offline alinagreta

• Members
Paperweight with Insert Shield on base
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »
Please help me to find who made this beautiful paperweight so special with gold shield shape on base. I could only identify a book and laurel leaves into that shiled logo but I need your opinion and ideas about maker/ year. Thank you so much and I appreciate a lot your effort to solve this "mistery". Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Paperweight with Insert Shield on base
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
I did some research on these and it seems a paper making company in Fife caledd Tullis Russell celebrated their 150th Anniversary in 1955 and had various gifts made to give to their clients and among these was a batch of paperweights made by Vasart with a medalion set in the base showing the company crest so a very nice find - well done
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alinagreta

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
Dear Dave, you're the best! Thank you so much for "speedy" reply. So, let me get this straight: The maker of this beauties is Scottish Ysart/Vasart (now Strathearn) and the crest belongs to Tullis Russell Co.; the year of make is c.1955 to commemorate an anniversary but could you tell me please approximately how much worth these paperweight today? Thank you

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
Sorry, I remembered the date wrongly as I just checked my notes and it was 1959 these weights were made NOT 1955 as previously stated.

As you say Vasart became Strathearn and this company closed in 1980 but as to the value of your weight it depends on how many collectors would like one of these relatively rare weights. I would guess a minimum value of say £60 - £70 but it could easily fetch more especially if two peopple want it.

Dave 

Offline alinagreta

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
You're absolutely right. Thank you and Happy Christmas to you and to all members of this forum.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
The value of these weights will be affected to some degree by how much "ageing" there is to the acrylic plug covering the medalion.

I bought an example for which it was impossible to see any detail of the medalion, but many soakings in acetone and gentle work with the point of a sharp knife eventually revealed the full medalion which, to this day, has not fallen out!
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand