No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Plaque with Birds, unknown maker  (Read 1217 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Opalescent Plaque with Birds, unknown maker
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
Hello,

I purchased this opalescent plaque with birds and floral motif, and cannot id the maker. The seller sold it as Lalique, however, I can find no reference to it, and it is unsigned.

Many thanks,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline subversivegrrl

• Members
Re: Opalescent Plaque with Birds, unknown maker
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
The birds and flowering branches bear some resemblance to Lalique's "Deux Colombes" (Two Doves) clock, but as far as I know the design was not made as a plaque like this.  The website http://rlalique.com/ shows a December auction for what I think is the same plaque (but w/o the opalescence) in their "fakes and suspicious auctions" section. 
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/14674956_unsigned-old-lalique-plaque-with-raised-birds-on

Consolidated Glass, an American company, made some items based closely on some Lalique designs, so you might look into that - other possibilities I can think of include Verlys, Sabino, Etling.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:28:44 AM »
Yes, I saw the one at LiveAuctioneers, also attributed to Rene' Lalique.....and knew it was at least not documented anywhere in the literature.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »
I also placed bids on this piece...  I am 99.9% certain it's a Sabino piece. It is most definately not Lalique. John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand