No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aimo Okkolin vase-age required  (Read 3227 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Aimo Okkolin vase-age required
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:58 AM »
Greetings, would like an approximate time frame for this little cutie. Amethyst body with a base of clear glass, hand lettered to the base Riihimaen Lasi Oy Aimo Okkolin. 8cm high and a base of 4.5cm.
Many thanks for any comments and Happy New Year from New Zealand. Carol
Carolglass

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Aimo Okkolin vase-age required
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
Happy New Year to you too Carol!

This vase is called Nimipäivä & was produced 1959-1965 according to our friends over at Designlasi.com

:)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
Many thanks kisslikeeather- I had just not looked hard enough as I had designlasi.com in my bookmarks. Have just had a look and my example is not as thick walled as the designlasi one though and 2 cm smaller- surely if it was molded the differences should not be so much??.
again my thanks, regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Firstly the size - it often happens there's more information on the pages with original language so it may be useful to peak and compare. ;)  I noticed the three different sizes are not mentioned in designlasi's English page of this design.  They were produced in 85, 100 and 135 mm so yours would be the smallest.
Since they were hand made the size is not always accurate.

What comes to the thickness and finish they seem to vary too. There are 3 different design numbers which may mean differences in the way they were made.
Some have a flared rim and others cut and polished. Some are thicker than others and the difference is easy to see from the top.
Also some exported models may have been different from the original.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
Thank you px for the information- source language is always a plus but English speaking only am somewhat at a disadvantage. Good information though.
gratefully from a sweltering New Zealand- Carol
Carolglass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand