No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Strange fruit' perfume bottle - ID = Teign Valley Glass  (Read 3855 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
'Strange fruit' perfume bottle - ID = Teign Valley Glass
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
I gave this as a gift but it would still be nice to try and identify the maker.

A weighty bit of glass, well made and nicely finished, I assume it resembles a fruit of some sort... The body of the fruit is about 3 inches in diameter (8cm), the stem or stopper is curved and about 4 inches long (10cm). The stopper is not ground to fit and does not give an airtight seal so I guess it was intended to be decorative rather than practical (plus it does not stand 'upright'). The body was snapped off the blowing rod and the resulting mark fire polished, at the opposite end the tip is engraved with what looks like a monogram of HI or perhaps HL (the two letters joined together). The base glass is green and I assume the finish is a metallic oxide of some sort.

Any ideas?

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: 'Strange fruit' perfume bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
Hard to tell from just pics, John, but all I can think is of the Randsfjordglas blue and green bubbly Benny pieces which have the partial casing over the grey metallic part... that your metal oxide might be something like the grey stuff used in those... then having gone in a Norwegian direction, could HL be Hadeland?

Nicely made, very attractive thing.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:13:43 AM »
There is a possibility this was made by Teign Valley Glass.  I had two perfume bottles that were similar that stood on their sides (given as presents and stupidly didn't keep one for myself).  One was signed the other not.  They were designed by someone who was from the RCA or something, thought his name began with an H though.  I'll have a think and a trawl in the next few days and see if I can recollect any more info.
Here's a more current version - I'm think it's by them and think th einitials may be the designer's name.
http://www.thewhitelounge.com/shop/catalogue/contemporary-home-accessories/modern-vases-bottles-and-bowls/pod-glass-perfume-bottle.html
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
Thanks Sue, Hadeland use a stylised H, with no L, at least on their labels: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3236

m has hit the nail on the head once again (thank you m), TVG appears to be spot on especially considering on their website it states "The original piece in the pod series had a novel metallic glaze": http://www.teignvalleyglass.com/shop/products/Blue_Pod-6-2.html

Excellent, my first pod, not fruit but seed pod I guess. ;D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »
Wow, well done, flying-free.  ;D
(Again.  ;) Smarty-pants.  :-* )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
 Ian Hankey ? (turn it round completely)  worked  there I think with Richard Glass and Paul Harris.

Chris

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »
Excellent Chris, thank you. He is not listed in their current staff but does appear to have worked there in the past, looks like he is at Plymouth Uni at present.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
Worth getting in touch with him John, seems he started at Pilkingtons and like you say is now a lecturer at Plymouth but still does a lot of freelance  designing for Teign Valley Studio Glass and Caithness/Dartington too. Definitely looks like IH if you turn it round.

Chris

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
Wow, I have been following this thread as I thought it was such a pretty pefume bottle... well done m and Chris. 
I think I like your version very much John,  it looks really beautiful, true art glass.   :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum