No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco Nouveau Iridescent Vase Any Idea?  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Penelope

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Art Deco Nouveau Iridescent Vase Any Idea?
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
Hello again. I have a vase that I believe is an art nouveau/art deco era piece. The vase is 12" high and about 5 1/2" at it's widest. The design is an iridescent teal (?) on purple. The glass is heavy-ish and slightly textured rather than smooth. The vase is signed and while I believe that this is an original period piece I'm pretty sure that the signature is a fake. I haven't included a photo of the signature yet because I don't want to risk influencing your thoughts on who the maker might be. Thank you for any help/opinions.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Art Deco Nouveau Iridescent Vase Any Idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
Looks very American to me - and possibly recent.  If you google image  "American Art Glass" you will get to see several items of similar ilk, but none properly attributed.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Penelope

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply. This vase is a problem and I will look at recent American art glass. It came from the estate of a man born about 1906 who collected glass all his life almost to a hoarder status. The estate was filled with quality art from Steuben, stevens Williams, etc., pottery/porcelain from the late 18th century, seriously antique furniture...and then there's this vase- which is why it's a problem if it's recent. It's kind of like the Sesame Street song: "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong..." :) Thank you, again.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
So what does it say underneath - quezal?

Offline Penelope

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
Actually, Tiffany...not even a good attempt at the signature, in my humble opinion. Also in my humble opinion, compared to the entirety of his collection, this wasn't the type of glass collector to purchase this particular vase or at least purchase with the belief that it was a Tiffany.

Offline Penelope

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
Thank you for the signature link. The signature on this vase is wrong on a couple of levels. I wish I could post a picture of the bottom of the vase and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when I try to. I was hoping that the bottom of the vase might give some clue to the potential maker and or actual era. The picture is no different in size than the other pictures I've posted. Any suggestion on why I'm not able to post this last picture?

Mod: images added for Penelope

Offline Penelope

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »
Thanks again, Anne. I have a feeling that the "silly" belongs to my computer rather than an internet glitch. I tried to post another picture and had the same problem. I'm trying again.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »
I see what you mean - Tifanny doesn't quite look right does it.

Offline Penelope

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:02 PM »
No, it doesn't look like Tiffany.

Off topic- thanks Ivo for the mini lesson on ruby glass. I have beautiful "red" stemware I've been researching for a good 3 years now with no luck. I found the definition(s) of ruby red quite confusing. I stumbled on a post where you said true ruby wasn't made after about 1830. I can't tell you how many people have told me that my stems were ruby gold- but they're not. Early-ish 20th century maybe but not pre-1830.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
I believe your vase is actually a piece of Bohemian Cameo glass produced using an Acid Cut Back technique by Kralik. The LCT signature is an obvious addition by someone. Tiffany signatures are almost always, with very few exceptions, in a counter clockwise direction.....  In other words, written in the same direction, but below the pontil mark instead of above.....

Kralik ACB Cameo is generally found on a green or amethyst ground and is cut back from a Glatt Silberiris surface decor....  This is actually a pretty classic example of their style of work..... This would date to ca. 1900.

Very pretty example.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand