No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed Mdina Lollipop vase with cut down neck  (Read 2091 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Signed Mdina Lollipop vase with cut down neck
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Well this is one of those stories where 'if it is too good to be true it probably is' applies. I am posting this so that hopefully other collectors will not make the same mistake that I did.

I should have known better but I bought this vase at the last National Glass Fair for about half of what I might have expected to pay for it.  It was only when I got it home and examined it under magnification that I noticed that the neck had been broken off and the remains ground and polished. Looking inside the neck I could see the rough grinding marks that had not been polished out, presumably because they did not notice them or perhaps did not have a polishing head small enough to fit inside. There were other chips on the body of the vase that had been superficially polished too but they were minor in comparison to the neck. The vase was signed on the base by Michael Harris so in no way could have been considered a second when it was made.

With hindsight I even remember it been sold on ebay several months ago with it's shattered neck present. Ho hum. I eventually got a refund from the dealer I bought it from but only with the help of the Fair organisers. It is still a lovely piece of glass but it needs to be sold for what it is rather than what it once was.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: Signed Mdina Lollipop vase with cut down neck
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Yes I remember seeing that one when it was whole (ish). The close up doesn't really show much to me?  Seems to have been done to mimic the original finish.

Just bought a big purple fish that is damaged but I love it anyway. It's different if you know about the damage/repair before bidding though.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Thanks for adding the photos John, interesting to see nevertheless.

Pleased you managed to get a refund in the end.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
The original end of the neck would have been 'fire polished', it would not have been anywhere near a grinder. Here is another photo, hopefully it makes the ground areas on the inside of the neck easier to see.

If you know about any damage before you buy then you can make an informed decision, I have a couple of bits of Mdina like that, one is a big textured bottle with a large crack running down from the neck. The damage was pointed out to me before I bought it so I knew exactly what I was buying.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
Yes, it would have been fire polished which often creates an uneven surface. Not a straight flat surface. So the repair simulated that to my eyes.

Thanks for highlighting the grinding which I can now see. I often struggle with details on pictures posted here but it seems I am alone in this.

I do have a couple now so I am pretty au fait with how they look. This one looks stunted from the distance view but I guess you were too excited at the possible bargain to notice at the time.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
The pictures on here should enlarge when you click on them...

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
very good images and they do well enlarge here  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
I would have been caught out with this.  There are Mdina pieces that have odd shapes and 'squat' necks etc and I would have just assumed it was something similar...and been very excited thinking I'd found an 'odd early piece'.
Thanks for sharing.  I need to look more closely at things as well, and this is a reminder to do so.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand