No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian pressed glass bath chair or pram Rd.150277 - ID = Greener  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
I'm not too sure if this is a pram or bath chair :)  Impressed Rd.50277 on the inside which dates it to c.1886, and possibly Sowerby, but not too sure ???  Presumably its a sweet.  Measuring 6¼" in length, 4½" at it highest and 3" across.
I haven't been able to track down a similar one and would appreciate anyone else's opinions.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Victorian pressed glass bath chair or pram Rd.50277
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
Hiya t'other Anne! You're missing a digit...  :-*

It's RD 150277, dated 3 June 1890, and made by Greener and Co, described as a "chariot with gadroons". 

See illustration on page 14 & details on page 15 of Jenny Thompson's, The Identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Victorian pressed glass bath chair or pram Rd.50277
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Doh! You are absolutely right! I'm missing a bit more than a digit!  ;D
Many thanks t'other Anne :-*
Anne E.B

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Victorian pressed glass bath chair or pram Rd.150277 - ID = Greener
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »
Very nice Anne I would say its quite rare I have never come across one myself . I do know they were also made in at least blue pearline .

Roy

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »
A blue version would be lovely, but I was probably lucky to come across this one Roy ;).  I don't have a copy of Jenny Thompson's book (yet...) but there is an amber version shown in the V&A online museum, where it is described as a flower holder or ornament.

I do have a Greener basket in their blue opalescent hobnail pattern.  Its marked Rd.160244 which dates it to 16 Dec. 1892, and use to have an amber one, but I'm not too fond of amber.  I use it to hold soap petals.  I try to use as much old glass as possible, rather than it just being stuck on a shelf collecting dust.
Anne E.B

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
Anne I do like Henry Greener glass and have quite a few pieces mostly in clear which we still use especially at Christmas. We did have a casualty with a plate which some how got broke, but I agree it nice to be able to still use them.
A picture of a nice Greener jug about 1875/80 which we used over Christmas but now safely away in the cupboard for another year.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand