No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WALTHER & SOHNE UV Windsor Vase - Frosting clarification Required  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi,
I recently acquired this Uranium Walther Windsor vase/flower frog, however looking at other examples online they all appear to have frosted glass ladies with a clear glass vase. However, my example is completely frosted....? any thoughts welcome.

Measures 8.25 inches tall and 11 inches wide across the top rim. Strong UV reaction.

Many thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: WALTHER & SOHNE UV Windsor Vase - Frosting clarification Required
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Greg you may find some helpful information in this post

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=6139.0

Very nice vase.

Roy 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »
Thanks for the info Roy, much appreciated, lots of great info in that thread.

I worked my way through and came across the related thread below:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5800.10.html

I see in the other discussions between Glen, Leni, Pamela et al, that Walther did produce all matt pieces as well as part matt/part clear versions using the same moulds. Looking at the thread, however, there is no mention of a fully matt version of the windsor vase; only a clear vase with matt ladies which were made both pre and post war. I'm now happy that my piece is Walther due to the crisp moulding: the details of the ladies (e.g. hair  and dress folds) are the same as the genuine pieces coupled with the fact that I now know Walther did make all matt pieces.

I was wondering if it was possible to shed any light on the production date for this all matt Windsor example given that Glen concluded that all matt Walther is not necessarily indicative of post war production.

I would be happy to hear any further developments since the original thread, all thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Greg

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
Greg I am also pretty sure that the windsor vase was made in cloud glass as well . I seem to remember one sell on ebay in Switzerland quite a few years ago.

Roy 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Hi Roy & Greg... I too have had several of these Windsor vases. Most of which like you say have only frosted ladies. I have had one all frosted example only using amber glass... that I considered to be of a later date. I have also seen them in Jadeite glass and streaky grey. Whether these are pre-war or more recently made from original moulds, I cannot say. Recently too, aqua-blue examples are showing up here and there. I do know that three sizes were also produced, one of which was twice the size of the largest that we mostly see. I once owned this huge piece and can now kick-myself for parting with it back in the 1970s. More to the point, it was maker marked to its underside inner base, most of which was missing due to a chip being present, but the remaining letters "DER" were moulded and evident, which in itself is uncommon for Walther.  I have never forgotten the vase. It was Walther blue, with frosted ladies and was taller and wider than the Schmetterling pattern. John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand