No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Vase - Is this Harrach or Not?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Opalescent Vase - Is this Harrach or Not?
« on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:55 AM »
I have seen this decor ID'd as Harrach a number of times. It was recently questioned and I am interested if anyone here can confirm or deny that attribution.....

As always TIA

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Opalescent Vase - Is this Harrach or Not?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:48:11 AM »
Craig I do not know if this is Harrach or not. I believe this type of opalescent pattern  (although maybe not an exact match) is called Quadruple  Diamond, but that may be a slang term. I have a large 11" Ewer with this type of pattern & it was attributed as English...I believe the Vaseline guide by Dave Peterson has this pattern in it, but cannot remember the attribution except I an fairly certain its not Harrach. Phoenix Art Glass in Phillipsburg PA made a very similiar pattern in a pitcher (pg. 71 in Leland Marple's Phoenix Art Glass guide) so I am of the opinion it could have been produced by several companies perhaps in both Europe & the U.S. Sorry not much help I'am afraid. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Craig this reminds me of the 'ghost'/maze vase I think it was called, that Ivo posted a long while ago.
I'll have a search and see if any further information was found on that one, or have you already found that thread?
I thought it was finally found to be Kralik or maybe that was just what I found on searching?
  :-\

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34619.msg187354.html#msg187354
I think this is the link to Ivo's thread which has some information on it.

I've remembered now, that when I was searching for information originally, I came across a vase similar to the one you've posted here that at the time was attributed as Kralik (I mentioned it in Ivo's thread).  There was no reference for that though, so it's not a firm id.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »
It turns out that the pattern with with the Mulhaus (JM Co) labels on them are actually pieces produced by Harrach and exported by Mulhaus. There is apparently a case of the design on different types of examples in the Harrach museum.

That may be where the source of the Harrach attribution for this pattern is from......  Although this pattern is not shown there, at least that I have been made aware of.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand