No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wine glass?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline janetsergison

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Wine glass?
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:06:19 AM »
Bought 1967 in antique shop in Tossa Del Mar but at a Christies valuation day was told it was French.  Any ideas please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Wine glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
hi and welcome to the GMB.

could be wrong, but I sense from your comments that you half expected Christies to confirm a Spanish origin for this glass.          Pre-owned objet d'art, whether modern or genuine antique, travel a great deal in their lives - sometimes surprisingly so, and although this may well be French in manufacture, suspect it's typical of pieces that might have originated in more than one European country.             Presumably the auction house didn't explain their reasons for saying French, but obviously there was something in the appearance that induced this comment  -  it might have been the acid/matt finish on the stem, or the spiral of green decoration.                Wine/hock goblets/glasses are common to most countries. 

Regret we don't always have the answer, and you may not get any further with this one  -  however, it's an attractive glass :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
But don't give up hope, Janet. Someone may be able to help, even if it takes a while to get an ID. Welcome to the board!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
It is just the acid finish and the green twirl which makes me suspect Spanish, and hey, what do Christies know?  I would suspect is was from Mallorca from a glass house called LaFiore who had - and has - a wide range of glassware with such a finish. They are found frequently and are hardly ever recognised.  Think - lets be liberal - last quarter 20th, first quarter 21st century.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
Janet has commented in her original post that this was 'bought in 1967'  .........so would appear to be a little earlier than Ivo's suggestion of date, perhaps??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand