No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Verlux/Verlys Help please...  (Read 7220 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Verlux/Verlys Help please...
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
Good evening all, and Happy New Year!

Here is a link to the Gaffer Glass site. http://www.gafferglass.co.uk/technical/uranium.htm The technical info, downloadable as a pdf is worth reading and self explanatory.

Most glassmakers such as myself use pre-melted colours these days. The people who produce these colours used to be in Germany or what is now the Czech republic, but Gaffer Glass in New Zealand are perceived by many as the preeminent colour makers for artists. There are still some European suppliers, Kugler (Friedrich and Schreibler)and  Reichenbach, are notable. Ornela, unfortunately, closed a few years ago, but fortunately, I still have some stock of some of their rarer colours, including some uranium bearing colours.

So far as I am aware, there are no restrictions that limit the use of these colours as they have been pre-melted and to all intents and purposes the uranium is inert, (used in layman's terms and not as a scientific statement) once the colour has been pre-melted. (Nonetheless, when it is in granular form, as with other colours, care should be taken not to inhale or ingest).

While I can't speak for Richard Golding, I think it is safe to say that he uses the same kind of pre-melted colour.

I hope that this clarifies the position. Most people don't produce their own colours.

To an artist such as myself,  it is the colour that matters, not the chemical content, but that it is a personal opinion, which may not be shared by all.

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
A healthy and happy new year to you Adam,!  :-*
Thank you so much for this clear and concise info - and I agree the colour itself is always of primary ( ;D ) importance - but uranium glass does do fascinating and interesting colour-y things in sunlight.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
Verrelux or verlux was a trade name used by BSN (Boussois Souchon Neuvesel), making bottles then Youghurt jars that became Danone youghurts and had a factory near Lyons making green , amber and smoke tableware machine made., called Verrelux.
A lot turns up on eBay, especially plates and serving bowls.
A certaine Antoine Ribaud was their Chairman. ( died 2002) see  ( but in French)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Riboud

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Uranium stock, being radioactive has to be notified to a Governement department.
We stopped using it back in the 1990's.
it was used in yellow ashtrays for  Pernod etc.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Quote:

"Uranium stock, being radioactive has to be notified to a Governement department."

I hope this doesn't apply to folk with large collections of uranium glass!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 03:01:34 AM »
As I came across this post where Etling and Verlux were mentioned, I just wanted to share my thought and finds on this subject.

I have done a little digging or quite some rather and  it took me a while... hence the late reply.

Cappa, as you all know, mentions in both of his volumes that Verlux relates to Etling. But as the French language can often be so subtle in its wording, you need to really pay attention, because often it's very suggestive.

And that is exactly the case here, because in his first edition, Cappa says that Verlux could be related to Etling because a pinecone patterned vase has a very similar pattern to a bowl (the square one I guess) by Verlux. If you're happy with that, then that's fine but personally, I find this a little vague and not evidential enough.

Hartmann mentioned on several occasions, at the SPIP and Verlys references, quote page 813 ' The establishment SPIP proposes art glass, Cristal and decorative objects made from different materials, in 1935 the department store SPIP officially registers at the Chambers of Commerce, the brands Verlux, SPIP and Vermer.
And also : 'The glassware Verlux was produced at Hollophane - Andelys, the brand SPIP with the subscription Tchechoslovaquie was imported (by Inwald) and the producer for Vermer is currently unknown (but due to style it could be Schneider or Daum).

Page 858 on Les verreries d'Andelys he mentions that 'the company starts producing décorative  pressed glass and lamps in the Lalique style. Verlux is produced for the proprietor of the SPIP establishment, Paris, Rue de la Grange-aux-Belles 39.'

Overall in his book, Hartmann refers to Cappa on several occasions, so he's read his views but ignores him on Verlux. In Cappa's second edition, he refers to himself in his own first edition, whereas Hartmann still ignores this suggestion.

The reference on SPIP from  Hartmann,  comes from the Commercial Syndicate Register for Ceramics and Glasswork, dating from 1930 and onwards.

It took me several hours, on the french online library Gallica to find out who this etablissement SPIP was, also where the Verlux name was registered, and I found it in the end.

SPIP was a department store, very much in the style of Sabino and Etling, and like so many others. It stands for Société Parisienne d'importation de Porcelaine. Why porcelain? Because that's what they started their business with and they expanded their range with glass, Chrystal, decorative objects and the likes as of 1935, after having been 5 years in business.

Also, for the brands Verlux, Vermer and SPIP, Hartmann refers to the 'le bulletin officiel de la propriété industrielle et commerciale Paris - 1886-.... the official report on industrial and commercial propriety and patent.

Personally, and these are just my thoughts, is that the theory suggested by Cappa, is exactly what it is...a myth that slowly made its way in because of Cappa whereas Hartmann ignores these and comes up with evidence that Cappa doesn't have. If Hartmann refers to both registers, then he must have consulted them.

Verlys, as we all know, was Hollophane's own trademark for decorative glass.

Underneath, you'll find a copy of the announcement for the establishment SPIP having been registered by proprietors Guerber et Broido, dating from the 1930 register.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »
Anne, thank-you so much for all this hard graft, teasing out who said what and how and in which context. :-*

This is a massive problem with books as opposed to academic, peer reviewed papers (not that they get it right all the time either  ::) )
Anybody can publish anything. A hinted suggestion or speculation spreads, then it becomes a "certainty" and another myth is born. >:(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
Thank you Sue, that's really nice to hear.

To be honest, it took quite some time, several days actually ...adding things up, one fact leading to another, going through files etc etc   if things are not correct, then they should be put back in their place if possible. I'm not having a go at Mr Cappa  and his work ...it must have been a monster job  to write a book like his, as some of you well know, but if you're going to publish, then you need to get your facts right and be able to back up what you think is true ... well, in my opinion at least but maybe  that sounds a little harsh ...

Cappa made a suggestion, as you mentioned, which has been read a lot, but without being able to back his theory up ... whereas Hartmann says, I found my information at the Chambers of Commerce, in the files of 1930 and 1935.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 02:04:16 PM »
I've had a lot of trouble myself, trying to work out what exactly is meant by some authors. Hints are given, sugggestions are made, sometimes, between one statement from one place, and another from another some other fact can be gleaned, from inbetween the two, but you can never be sure, until something else comes along to back it up or contradict it.

You can hope, you can keep the possibility open in your brain, but sometimes others just jump straight to the unconfirmed conclusion.

It helps to make life interesting! ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
Yes, I understand that, it does make life more interesting and makes us live, but it's just human nature I guess... we generally don't like uncertainties in life and prefer to have things 'set in stone' .. but I believe the best thing to do to achieve that, is trying to get back to the source.

There's this funny saying here in Belgium, that says that the only certainty in life you have... is the uncertainty in life. Meaning that anything can happen, at any time and you'll deal with it as it comes along, as every time something's always new and you can never know everything, and that can be applied to every situation in life.

Funny ones, the Belgians... very often surreal in their philosophy but I like that 'down to earth' attitude.

Better stop now, I'm starting to sound like I overdosed on Oprah Winfrey...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand