No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Ashtray  (Read 3152 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Murano Ashtray
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »
Hi, I have this ashtray, 14cm, easily recognised as Murano. Highly polished base with wear marks. The info I see all say 60's 70's 80's Sommerso. I understand that Sommerso means submerged but could do with an explanation if anyone can offer one. Is there a way of better ageing the pieces rather than having a 30 yr spread ? I did think it had a uranium hint when I saw it because the green has a 'glow' to it. Very clever in my opinion. It is green and a yellowish/amber colour but my eyes are a bit deceiving at times so if there is an official colourway please let me know.   Thanks
Pete. :-)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »
Looks more cased than sommerso. Side on the top layer should look like a bowl of the inside colour submerged in an outer bowl of a second colour. There should be clear delineation between the colours. There are also those that argue that sommerso requires at least three colours, one of which could be clear.

This is a good example of sommerso. Any green at the sides is reflection. http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1546

Whereas this is cased
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1283
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1283

I doubt you'll find a manufacturer though. A side on shot and a top shot against a white background would be good. All the wood grain is unhelpful

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
Couldn't ask for a better explanation. I will be home tomorrow and get some better pictures sorted. Thanks lustrousstone, again, as ever very helpful and informative.    Pete.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
Here are some better pictures. It is cased and now that you explained it so clearly I understand the terms better. When I first started  looking at glass a few year ago I thought this guy Sommerso made a helluva lot of glass  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
Rofl  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum