No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 Blue Decanters - Holmegaard and Webb?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline mtmandar

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass, pottery
    • canada
2 Blue Decanters - Holmegaard and Webb?
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
1) Turquoise blue decanter. 7.5" tall x 4 3/8" wide at base. Shiny leathery texture. No makers mark on bottom, air bubbles present throughout. Two mold lines travel to the base. Holmegaard?

2) Smokey blue decanter with matching - though not the color - stopper. Glass is very uneven throughout - air bubbles, glass lines.... Three thick mold lines travel to the bottom. Stopper sky blue color, same pattern but color is wrong. Webb?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: 2 Blue Decanters - Holmegaard and Webb?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
looks like not so much a match but a mariage. I think both are either Empoli or Oberglas Austria, and the stopper is missing its plastic fitting. Not much good I'm afraid.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mtmandar

• Members
    • glass, pottery
    • canada
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
Empoli - I just looked the second one up and it's the first image - the same dimpled decanter but in olive green.  Thank you so much.  I wanted to know if this was just refuse, or connected to anything. 

I can see how the stopper was supposed to look - do you know if pieces like that can still be bought somewhere - just the plastic stopper?  Or, the correct colored stopper - ebay, I guess.... 

Can you tell me when these were made?

I'm not really seeing the first one under the Empoli stuff - but I've just started looking.  Well, that's one down, and one narrowed down quite a bit - thank you Ivo. 

Offline mtmandar

• Members
    • glass, pottery
    • canada
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:19:10 AM »
Also - another question - could it be a fake if the bottom doesn't have Made in Italy engraved like many of the ones online seem to have?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »
If these machine made bottles have an engraved signature you can be almost certain it is fake. These are cheap 'n cheerful decoration bottles from the seventies or eighties. No frills like ground stoppers or wild decoration or needle signatures.  Some have the "Made in Italy"mark embossed - which is a part of the mould. But never added seperately.

Offline mtmandar

• Members
    • glass, pottery
    • canada
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
Thanks Ivo - these don't have anything - no engraved signature and no embossing either - just a clean bottom - I thought maybe that indicated that they were fake.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand