No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old English weight puzzling me (again)  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Old English weight puzzling me (again)
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Happy New year all.

I've been through my books and the web and cannot find a positive match for the canes in this one. The very bright turqouise blue stears me to thinking Richardsons, but the pontil mark has been ground and polished leaving a Whitefriars like button that I have not seen before on a non Whitefriars (I believe) weight.

Size is 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches. 81mm x 56mm

Any ideas please?

Many thanks Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Old English weight puzzling me (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »

Hi Nick

I am sure it is Richardson.  I have seen examples of their pieces with concave polished bases, and rough pontil versions with very similar canes.  Looking at the shape I suspect it may be the repolished remains of a bottle that has had the neck damaged, but it is not easy to be sure with Richardson pieces - the shapes can vary.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »
Thanks Alan, I had thought Richardson until I saw the base which I have not had before on one of their pieces. It doesn't  seem to be a re-ground item to me and the in-ground dirt in the slight scratches would seem to indicate if it is it was done some time ago.

I'll dig out some of my past Richardson bottle images for comparison.
And looking at my photos I'll put up a straighter side view for dome comparison.

Nick

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:31 AM »

On the subject of Old English paperweights, did anyone note the two Old English paperweights Lot 553 at Tennants Auction on 4 January? http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/176509.aspx . From the sale price (£550 plus commission) I can only deduce that some people thought (incorrectly) that at least one was a Bacchus.

I have seen several weights with very similar canes, and they are usually well made pieces - but there is no overlap between the canes in these pieces and the canes in classic Bacchus weights.  All the exampls have turned up in England, and around half of them in the North, rather than in the Birmingham area. Maybe coincidence, but maybe not....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
Yes. I too saw these and at first thought maybe Bachus but couldn't match the canes. I left a bid of £200 but just checked myself and saw they made £550.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand