No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue white opaline (?) hobnail glass basket - ID = Greener  (Read 1803 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Blue white opaline (?) hobnail glass basket - ID = Greener
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
Hi I was hoping someone knew about my opaline (?) pressed (?) hobnail pattern blue glass basket please? I think it could be Davidson, but it could possibly be Fenton or similar? There's an impressed number to the base which I know would id it perfectly, but i can't quite make out the last bit, though what is clear is Rd 16021 but i can't make out if it's manufacturing imperfections or possibly up to 2 more digits afterwards  ??? Any assistance gratefully received please? :) Thanks   

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Blue white opaline (?) hobnail glass basket info please?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:04:12 AM »
Hi,

Your basket is by Greener. Don't recall the full reg. no., but I'm sure others on the board will be able to help.

Steven :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
160244 possibly?
 registered for 3 Nov 1890
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos03.htm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-RARE-RD-160244-1890-GREENER-DEEP-BLUE-HOBNAIL-CONTESSA-POSY-BASKET-/271122316991

I think this would be called opalescent glass, but it's not opaline glass btw :)

m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
Definitely Greener RD 160244.

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Thanks for your help everyone :))

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
I have found the exact image of my basket on page 85 image 16 within my identification of English Pressed Glass 1842-1908 now you have deciphered the numbers :) But in the index for the picture it says:
'Greener & Co, 3 November 1890 Flower basket - copying the blue pearline of G Davidson & Co. As 'Pearline' had been registered this would seem to be a deliberate infringement.'

If it's copying something illegally, does that mean it's simply not allowed to be called opaline so is called opalescent instead as flying free said they think it's opalescent?  ???     

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:22:14 AM »
I'm sorry I don't have the book to check, but I didn't say 'they think it's opalescent' :) I said I think the glass would be called opalescent glass rather than opaline glass - I meant the description of the type of glass process/effect, rather than a trade name for the glass.

Opaline and opalescent are types of glass process/effect and can be from all different makers.

'Pearline' is a registered tradename for a line of Davidson's glass as far as I am aware (I hope I'm not confusing things further). i.e. 'Pearline' and opaline are not the same thing.

Someone will be along shortly who will be able to correct this if I'm wrong :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand