No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ENGLISH? PRESSED CREAM; SWISS GUARD BEAKER VP OR PV PLEASE.  (Read 2056 times)

Offline EAPG

• Members
ENGLISH? PRESSED CREAM; SWISS GUARD BEAKER VP OR PV PLEASE.
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:59:33 PM »

1.  This appears to be a late Victorian pressed English cream in a double panel and diamond pattern.  It doesn't belong to me so I don't know if it's marked but would appreciate country of origin, date, maker.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5107/modengcream7na.jpg

2.  The glass beaker has a brass base and is about 12" high but is broken off at the top, I'm speculating it may have had a brass collar at the top?  The dude is an early Vatican Swiss Guard done in grays and there are 4 applied strawberries near the bottom.  There are painted numerals that oddly? start at the bottom with a 5 and the break at the top is just above the number 2.  I'd like to know the country of origin and date, what it was used for, why the numbers are reversed.  Is the painted mark intended to be a reverse P and a V or is it V P as the owner says?  

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1928/swissguardbeaker11wb.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3420/swissguardmark10ht.jpg

Thanks for looking.  DoRi

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: ENGLISH? PRESSED CREAM; SWISS GUARD BEAKER VP OR PV PLEA
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:26:06 AM »
Dori — Happy Easter.   The creamer is not particularly familiar to me.   You will be amused to know that, had the posting not been from you, I would have suggested a possible American attribution.   The handle doesn't help as it is such a universal shape.   There are hints of Sowerby, Greener, and Moore in it.

A real testing toughie!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline EAPG

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 01:54:29 AM »
Hi, Bernard and Happy Easter to you!  LOL, just doesn't look American to me, I've been through Lattimore and also Spillman's Corning Museum book with no luck.  It's not in the Kamm series of pitchers which has a few foreign creamers.  I'm burned out at Google, too.  I'll just sit back and be patient.    DoRi

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 02:27:39 AM »
Dori — I think I have found the creamer.   Thompson p14 shows a decanter with a similar pattern and foot, Rd. No. (1st series) 197704, registered May 24 1866, parcel No. 1, to Angus & Greener, Sunderland.   Some of these early pieces have very faint registration lozenges, but you can almost always see traces.

Early patterns by both PV and A&G are often spread over several registrations for different shapes within the pattern.   Other possibilities are June 26 1867, parcel No. 8; May 4 1868, parcel No. 6; September 17 1868, parcel No. 5; and April 20 1869, parcel No. 9, all registrations for sugars.

My favourite is June 26 1867.

The name change to Henry Greener, The Wear Flint Glass Works, Sunderland took place between April and July 1869.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 07:39:09 AM »
AHA something just dawned on me. Could it be that all these items found in France with the PV mark (block capital) on the bottom which everybody has tried to attribute for years to a French maker are, in fact, Percifal Vickers? I believe we've had discussions sans issue on this board on the PV mark beforel.... Bernard???

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »
Ivo — the "discussion" was Frank giving me a bollocking for using "PV" instead of Percival Vickers.   I was disappearing down my own abbreviations!

I very much doubt that your "PV" has anything to do with Percival Vickers.   Their glass was certainly exported to France, indeed items from their 1893 25-page catalogue Patterns of Moulded, Cut and Engraved Goods, especially designed for the Electro-plate Trade, turn up now and again in the most fabulous French silver-plated mounts.   This glass is identical to the British version, with registration numbers or lozenges.

Dori — June 26 1867 translates to "III" in the handle, T immediately below, then, clockwise, 26, 8, and M.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand