No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with identifying Venetian J.I. Co Made in Italy 9" Glass piece  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Rainy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Venetian Glass
    • United States
I am brand new to this forum. I'm cleaning out my mother's home and just found the attached 9-1/2" x 9-1/2" glass. I'm attaching two images - one is of the entire piece and the other is a close-up of the pattern. It has a label with a gondola that says:
Hand Made
Venetian
J. I. Co.
Made in Italy

I read the information about J.I. Co. that was previously posted, and while interesting, I have no idea if this was made by the owner or his partner. Perhaps my post could be shared with the owner's daughter? Any information anyone has will be very helpful. Thank you.

Rainy

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Help with identifying Venetian J.I. Co Made in Italy 9" Glass piece
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Jordan Importing must have been one of the main importers of Murano glass  to the US, judging by the amount that turns up. I don't know which specific post about JI you're referring to, but it's very doubtful that you'll ever find out who made a specific piece. JI's owner's daughter has said that JI had a factory in Murano. I don't know if there's any independent proof of that. It seems more likely that they bought from one or more factories on a contract basis.  The vast majority of their glass was low quality in terms of what Murano produced, made to be sold cheaply in gift shops, department stores, and housewares stores. A few of their pieces were of higher quality and may have been made by better know Murano companies. Nothing they ever produced could be tied to a specific designer or worker, though.

Your images don't show so it's hard to say much about your piece.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Rainy

• Members
    • Venetian Glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
David-did either of the two images display? Or are you asking me to take different type of picture?

Rainy

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »
I can't see any images. It may be me as I'm on my iPad away from home with a funny server. It may also be that your photos weren't resized and so were too big.  There's a thread giving you help on posting photos, which might help.

Good luck,

David

Offline Rainy

• Members
    • Venetian Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:00:19 AM »
Resized the two images and hope they will now post to this board. One is of the whole piece, which is approximately 9-1/2" square; the other is a close-up of the pattern. Please let me know if you can see these images and if you have any other information about it. Thanks.

Rainy

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:10:34 AM »
Thanks. The pictures help.  One of the nicer JI pieces I've seen. I don't have access to my catalogues right now (off seeking warmth), but it looks like late 50's early 60's.  It's a style that was produced by many Murano factories at the time. AVeM would an example of one of the better companies doing this, but I don't think this is an AVeM piece.

Hope this helps.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand