No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Shipping Help for Brockwitz cockatoo centerpiece and bowl  (Read 11843 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Shipping Help for Brockwitz cockatoo centerpiece and bowl
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »
I totally agree Nick.

I use Interparcel for the UK, Parcelsplease for Germany and Holland and transglobal for USA and Australia all being best for those countries.

If I had a choice of sending an item say to the value £200 and I had a choice of sending Royal mail insured signed for or by UPS courier I would more often than not send by UPS which to the USA is about 2-3 working days knowing I could pack better in slightly bigger box over 2kg and the cost would be very similar £30.00 , UPS being fully tracked all the way, while with the Royal Mail 5-10 days and sometimes up to 30 days.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
Hi All... I would also agree with most points within this link, however unless you have had to raise issues with the two quoted sites that I mentioned, then perhaps you will not realise that they seem to be ABOVE any English laws... THEY ARE the law and it is THEY who treat both sellers & customers how they choose too. It is THEY who make the decisions in favour of either the seller OR the purchaser, should anything go wrong, and trust me, there is nothing that one can do about it... At last count, there were 35,000+ claims against both of these online facilities in England alone since AUGUST of last year. Not one has seen any amount of true Justice.  I have had the International Financial Ombudsman, on their backs for these past THREE YEARS and even they cannot get anywhere close to these people, for me or for the benefit of some of my customers.

Secondly, every single Post Office that I have ever asked will tell me that Glass cannot be insured. Not for love or for money. If It CAN, then I would greatly appreciate the full details please. I would like to add if I may, that ALL of my customers are from overseas. I thank you all in advance for any further information regarding the insurance of ANTIQUE GLASS during shipment by: Royal Mail and Parcel Force.

It is very true of course that you can insure your packages and also pay for this before mailing them, however should you ever have to make a claim for "damaged" glass (not "loss" during transit) it will be very unlikely indeed that you will receive any amount of compensation. Please tell me if I am wrong...  and the very first thing that the courier will ask for, for any damaged goods, glass or not,  is photographic proof as to how the package was wrapped, packed, sent & received.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »
 Royal mail Special Delivery for UK delivery covers glass antique or otherwise up to £2500 , claims have been made and settled without problems .

cheers ,
               Peter.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
Thank you Peter, I shall make further enquiries. I must add though, that I have just this moment returned from a Parcel Force depot to collect, and they told me that THEY do not insure glass, and as you know Royal Mail use Parcel Force for anything above 2k in weight. I really will look into this, very well indeed. Cheers, John.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
 Quote  "Royal Mail use Parcel Force for anything above 2k in weight. "

they may subcontract to parcel force for delivery but Royal Mail( purchased from the Post Office , not a Parcelforce office) special delivery can be up to 10 kilos and £2500 in value,only when using' International Signed For'  delivery from the post office are you restricted to 2 kilos in weight.

cheers ,
                 Peter.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 02:56:21 PM »
... Sorry for the confusion Peter. I did mention that I only mail glass to overseas, but I am truly going to look into this, as it is exceptionally helpful and important for me and my customers to know with absoulte certainty...

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
...then perhaps you will not realise that they seem to be ABOVE any English laws... THEY ARE the law and it is THEY who treat both sellers & customers how they choose too.

eBay and Paypal still have to - and do - abide by the trading rules for distance selling, though.

Secondly, every single Post Office that I have ever asked will tell me that Glass cannot be insured. Not for love or for money.

People who work in the post office, on the whole, know nothing about the postal service. Whenever I send glass I'm always told, without fail, that glass cannot be sent, or cannot be insured. I nod and smile, and send it anyway - because I've read Royal Mail's terms and conditions.

Here's the bit that says only standard parcel service is excluded: http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/damaged-item-compensation/damaged-items

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
Here's the Royal Mail guide for packing glass to qualify for compensation:

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/wrapping-and-packing

5cm of packing between the item and the box wall, and a rigid box. I did read elsewhere, buried in the smallprint of another page, that it's necessary to mark the parcel as containing fragile glass items.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
Nic is correct.  The words FRAGIILE GLASS has to be in RED letters directly above the recipient's address.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
... I am in debt to you all, for you have opened my eyes.

I listen TOO MUCH to Post Office staff and those at Parcel Force, it would seem.
I will study all of the links provided by you all, and I thank you sincerely...

Without causing a war:   "eBay and Paypal still have to - and do - abide by the trading rules for distance selling, though."

BUT, they do not.
I have countless amounts of documented FACTUAL PROOF to the contrary.

I cannot be bogged down with going back and forth with this.

I, and many that I know, have been subject to ePlay & plaYfoul's on-going CRIMINAL activities. They are nothing short of modern-day maffia, and I shall never EVER think anything less of them PERIOD. No matter what anybody else has to tell me. 

I may just try a little experiment of my own... I will insure and mail some glass to a friend, (wrapped, but not as how I would consider to be professionally, as some folks do not) and do ALL that Roayal Mail states that I should...
It shall arrive to my friend damaged and perhaps then I can truly learn, first hand, about compensation values.
Please, I am not questioning the goodwill of GMB members here...
I take on board ALL opinions & information gratefully, and I thank you all,
but there are still times when one has got to learn for oneself
and maybe, just maybe, this is a time in question... John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand