No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Shipping Help for Brockwitz cockatoo centerpiece and bowl  (Read 11844 times)

Offline Solar1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • England
Shipping Help for Brockwitz cockatoo centerpiece and bowl
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum so not really sure if I am posting this in the right place.

I have an excellnt condition Blue glass Brockwitz Cockatoo centrepiece and bowl which i am thinking of selling, once I have established what it is worth but am really worried about posting it outside the UK and would really prefer the buyer to collect.

It seems to me that the international postage costs are so high with insurance that it may put buyers off, but I need to get it insured otherwise if it gets broken I will not be covered. Can anyone offer any advice please.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Shipping Help for Brockwitz cockatoo centerpiece and bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
Hi
There is a great risk sending overseas.I packed a Brockwitz blue Fortuna bowl with demountable birds and it was packed very well indeed and it still got to Australia in pieces.
As a seller even though you pack well and tell the buyer this and the parcel gets there broken (out of all places around the world I have posted the worst is Australia...even a well established Deco glass dealer from the fairs I know refuses to send there now)
the buyer will insist a full refund.
I have been out of pocket many many times.Glass is only insured for loss and Royal mail will only give you £46 back if lost in transit.
There is no courier that will insure against breakage of glass.
If I were you I am sure there are buyers closer to home that would give you a great price for the piece and you would have better piece of mind knowing it would get there safely......sometimes piece of mind,hassle free transaction is better than a little more money.
Some people will probably think I am being biased.....but I am speaking from experience and am only offering good advice.
Cheers Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »
Hi

I have also sold to Australia several hundred times over the last 10 years including many large heavy pieces by couriers and have never had any breakages or lost parcels. I agree there are no couriers who will insure glass and there is always an element of risk when selling overseas .

Roy

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »
... I totally agree with Roy and oyemincanto. One thing that I would DEFFINATELY ask for, is confirmation from ANY purchaser overseas that they purcahse at their own risk and that YOU are not responsible once the item has left your custody and is in the hands of a courier. One other thing which I personally do is to take photos of each and every stage of packaging, particularly with moulded glass.. There are many liars out there, who will already have a damaged piece and will then try to say that what YOU sent to them is in fact what they already have... eplay/playfoul will not be on your side as a seller, and the purchaser shall win on all counts.  I have dispatched the most fragile of items overseas without any breakages, and as Roy perhpas, many many times, but then again it has got to be packaged VERY well. Only this week I have purchaserd two Lalique mascots  for example, here in England... I would rather drive the 300 miles there and back to collect them personally which I shall do, rather than to trust any other on this planet to courier the pieces for me.  At the end of the day, if you do not feel comfortable to sell overseas, then dont, would be my best advice to anybody.  You may very well regret doing so and have many sleepless nights. Sell the piece to me instead.... I will give you a very fair price...  and subject to where you are, will also collect. John

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »
Hi again
There is also the option of sending signed for so that the buyer at the other end has to sign for the parcel in person.
John is correct in saying there are many liars out there.....if sent normal airmail it isn't tracked and so there is nothing stopping the buyer saying it didn't arrive when in fact it did as there is no proof of delivery with that service,so then the buyer says it hasn't arrived and you give a refund.
Unfortunately the online auction sites can be a playground for bad activity as I have experienced.
I am sure John would give you a very good price-sell to him lol
Nige

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »
... without influence, there are indeed MANY sellers who insist upon insurance, even though they know that glass cannot be insured, and that is for their own financial gain. A few extra £'s.
Proof of postage from the courier, MY PROOF that I mailed the piece
and a signed for delivery is good enough for me...
Though item tracking can give peace of mind to the purchaser.
... anything else is a waste of money for both seller & purchase alike, when it comes to glass.
Some purchasers know this too, as so do "I" as a collector...
This week alone I have mailed twenty items to Brazil and as many again to Indonesia...
NONE with insurance...
NONE with item tracking...
but ALL with proof of postage and "MY" photographs which can establish the same. I have saved ME and the PURCHASER much wasted expense.
I only sell privately. I am not to answer to or under the constraints of ePlay or playFoul...
thank heavens.

Thanks oymicanto... I could not agree more.

... and should you wish to consider my offer to purchase this peice,
then please contact me Solar1  by email: lizzy AT gmx DOT co DOT uk
[Mod: email address anti-spammed - always best to just refer to the email icon to the left under the User details.]

NO CRANK EMAILS PLEASE! from anybody else. They bore me and me will be junked. 

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »
Or you could list on Ebay as collection only and let the market decide the price.

There seems to be a lot of passive aggression in the Glass Market Place of late and this thread contains some prime examples.

Special Delivery does cover glass in the UK providing it is packaged well and marked as fragile. So that is another option available to you for UK sales.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
I have to agree with Nemmie's comments regarding this thread.

Having sold close to a thousand items of glass on ebay over the years I have had a couple of items delayed for a few weeks before delivery, one item lost, one item broken and a single dishonest buyer who was English.

The overwhelming vast majority of people are perfectly trustworthy.

John

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Hi
There have been over the years some shocking behaviour on this site a sort of clique mentality.
I go a lot of the fairs when I can as I do have a full time job and the glass dealers/collectors I have the pleasure to speak to have said they find some people on this site have the most appalling manners.I agree.
As a child growing up with disabled parents I was open to the most foul bullying from children and was beaten up on several occasions.
As I have developed into an adult I will not tolerate bullying and I have had many occasions when I have stood up to people face to face and they have come off a lot worse,I can reduce many to tears now lol
Always stand up to the bullies,and sometimes I find this the case on here.
Anyway back to the topic in hand I would definately sell to a UK collector as it would be more secure to send and there are plenty of UK collectors who would give you a terrific price...good luck!
Nige

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
One thing that I would DEFFINATELY ask for, is confirmation from ANY purchaser overseas that they purcahse at their own risk and that YOU are not responsible once the item has left your custody and is in the hands of a courier.

This is entirely unenforceable under UK trading legislation - distance selling regulations state, quite rightly, that the responsibility for the item sold remains that of the seller until the buyer receives it and accepts that it is what they want.

Also, on the compensation front, Royal Mail will cover broken glass - if worth under £46, or insured if worth over £46 - under every service except for Standard Parcels. This includes airmail.

Couriers won't cover broken glass, but have much more generous size/weight restrictions, and so it is easy to over-compensate in the amount of packing you use. If your parcel weighs over 2kg, or is oversized for Royal Mail, try websites like http://www.parcel2go.com/ - they're a broker for space with major couriers, and can get big discounts with folk like FedEx, TNT, etc..., often much less than half the price of booking it with them yourself, or using Royal Mail. They also have insurance schemes, which are still good for in case parcels get lost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand