No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker of crystal block solifleur vase - ID = Marsberger  (Read 2732 times)

Offline hdm50

• Members
Maker of crystal block solifleur vase - ID = Marsberger
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I have seen several of these and they have been attributed to various German makers including Walther and Fischer but the label is not theirs. Wondering if anyone might know who made this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Maker of crystal block solifleur vase
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
Marsberger Kristall :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline hdm50

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
Thanks Rocco. I researched a bit more and found the actual name is  Marsberger Glaswerke or MG.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
They´ve been operating under several names over the decades. Marsberger Glas(werke), MarsKristall and
one of their founder´s name Ritzenhoff, now Ritzenhoff and Breker I think. Also sometimes only using one of
their brand names like Flirt etc..  :)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »
they switched from glass making to decoration techniques.
http://www.ritzenhoff.de/

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Maker of crystal block solifleur vase - ID = Marsberger
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Ritzenhoff range was born as a commission to Sieger Design in Germany for Milk glasses in 1993 and developed the idea from there getting international designers to create an annual range that has met with a lot of success. Glasses are hand blown. The schnapps glasses were introduced in 1996 followed by other designs. The Ritzenhoff range are hand-blown and I guess they bought Marsberger to own the manufacture.

Quote from: glass-study.com (1925)
Marsberger Glasfabrik, G. m. b. H., in Marsberg, Paulinenstraße, Provinz Westfalen (Preußen). Fernsprech-Anschluß Amt Marsberg 6, TA: Glasfabrik Marsberg. Inhaber: Louis und Julius Nordheimer und N. Höttcher. Direktor: Louis Nordheimer.
Fabrikate: Konservengläser, Tipp-Topp und Küchen­freund, Einmachehafen, aufgetrieben, Geleegläser, Honig­hafen zum Zubinden und mit Gewinde, Bombongläser, Württemberger und Holländer Weinflaschen, Karaffen mit Stöpsel, Sturzflaschen, Kinderflaschen und Schnapsfla-schen, Fischgläser, Fliegenfallen, Dortmunder Becher, Tonneformbecher, Albert-Viktoria-Kaiser- und V.-Becher, Stangengläser, (süddeutsche) Harzer Pokale, Bierkrüge, Likörkelche, Weingläser, Schwenkschalen, Wasser- und Teebecher. Spezialität: Konservengläser.
 — 1 Schmelz­ofen, 14 Häfen mit Kappe, System Boëtius. Steinkohle. Schleiferei mit 10 Werkstellen. Elektromotoren 12, 7½ und 1½ PS. 80 Arbeiter. Jahresproduktion: 250 000 Gmk.
Vertreter: S. Eichholz, Düsseldorf, Bergerallee 3. (Ge­gründet 1904.)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
never not hand blown - I think they buy their blanks from Rastal.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
They state quite clearly in their literature that they are hand blown (at least for the limited edition Schnapps glasses) and there are videos and pics of them being made, they say in video that it is in their own glassworks (Cannot find that video now). Pilsner glasses are also shown being machine made in a video on Youtube which shows the glassworks. Other items are cast. For me the biggest mistake they made is not using enamels for permanent decoration on the limited edition stuff. Oddly the pilsner glasses are permanent fired transfers, I guess that for the limited editions they perceive the finer colour control of silk screening cold decoration to be a 'higher' quality :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
check the website - there is no mention of any manual involvement @ all.  And owning half a dozen of their designer beer glasses I can safely say these are as machine made as anything from Rastal, Arc or Bormioli.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
They closed down the factory in Marsberg, Paulinenstraße, somewhere in the early 90´s. To that time
a friend of mine worked there as a printer.
Their factory in Essentho, 4km from Marsberg, used to produce their own machine-blown stemware.
I don´t think I´ve heard this production stopped... Some of their machine-blown decorative items are
well executed (possibly with some hand finish, don´t know). Some even so well they sometimes manage
to sneak into collections as Art Déco...
http://www.madforglass.es/kralik/Kralik8.htm #63  ;)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand