No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looking for some help to identify please ...  (Read 996 times)

Offline Teri

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
Looking for some help to identify please ...
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
Good day. . I am reaching out to glass experts in hopes of finding some further information on a piece of glass that has been in my family for over a century... i have 4  pictures that i am attaching
This item stands about 7 inches tall. I was always lead to believe it was a pickle dish, but I'm not so sure. Any information you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for you time

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Looking for some help to identify please ...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
Hiya Teri and welcome to the glass message board. You have a nice item on your hands, in an attractive colour. I'd rather call it a tobacco jar than a pickle jar - but that does not help you on very much. 

It works a bit German or Belgian - but could also be from your southern neighbours.  This is, of course,  pure speculation on my part.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
The Americans would call this a pickle castor I believe. A base shot and a rim shot of the glass might help. Are there any markings on the metal?

Offline Teri

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
there is a stamp on the bottom of the silver base, but its a misprint, and the stamp missed a portion of the metal. the only think i can make out is a 0125

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
In the U.S. we would call it a pickle castor, however without the SP company name its impossible to attribute & even then it would be difficult because many SP companies simply made the SP holders & subcontracted the glass jars to glass manufacturers. Yours is a bit different as most (vast majority) of configurations featured a handle & looking at the base of yours I am wondering if the handle has broken off at some period in time. Example of one I've had is below.

Offline Teri

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:23 AM »
yep/... i think that is it. thanks so much. a little closer look and i can see where the handle has been broken off, or maybe removed on purpose as without looking for it as removed, you would never know.  Is there any collection value to these beautiful peices?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand