No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy cane  (Read 1434 times)

Offline mildawg

• Members
Clichy cane
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:15:31 AM »
I was exploring a clichy scramble I have and came across a cane that has a rose in the center. At the left of the pic is the cane in question. It is surrounded by a purple and green and pink bullseye canes with the rose in the center. I have not seen this cane and have not come across another example. Just curious if it is common or something a bit more "special".  Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
Re: Clichy cane
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
Some further research has finally lead me to an answer that the rose canes are used within other canes, which was my main question.  I had looked at several other weights and have never seen another rose used in a complex cane. I have finally come across a couple examples today on the internet.  My persistence has paid off!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
The cane in your weight may exist in many others but you may be the first to have brought this particular cane to a wider audience. It is the sort of thing that is beginning to excite more people.

There is often a section in The Annual Bulletin of the PCA inc., titled "Hidden Gallery" which in recent years has focused on central elements of complex canes. Also, in a number of the Bulletin main articles, "hidden canes" have been studied quite closely and the use of a "Clichy Rose" within a complex cane has featured quite often.

This sort of detailed examination has now become useful for further study of the all too generalised category of "Bohemian" weights, and also for the fairly new discoveries of French paperweights from such as St Mande and Grenelle.

As a self-stated "geek" regarding cane details, I am pleased to see the increased interest in the minute details of complex canes.

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
In Robert Hall's book World Paperweights he shows a Clichy weight that has a cane with a rose centre little bigger than a pinhead. Not had one myself with one like this but I'll be looking.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand