No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old large blue 'opaline' vase,thick white enamelled stork scene,glass cabochons  (Read 4048 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I thought it might be simple to find some info on this vase, but in the event I’ve not managed to find out anything at all, nor any match to it.

I'm guessing it may be Bohemian but wondered if there were any views on whether this could be French?
It measures 29.5cm tall by 10.5cm wide.
Mould blown quality base, cut and bevelled and polished rim that's been gilded. Rim width about 3.5mm.  Solid 'opaline' or opaque pale blue glass.
The enamelling is superb.  I presume it was made to mimic  pâte-sur-pâte  porcelain.

I’m meandering between 1890 and earlier for date – any thoughts on whether it might be earlier than 1890?  The reason being that Sevres developed this technique c.mid 19th century and produced a porcelain vase called the Bertin vase which has scenes such as this on it.  One has an underwater sea scene,  another I’ve seen has birds and grasses/leaves on like this scene.  (I’m linking a great picture of the Sevre  pâte-sur-pâte vase with underwater scene and another with the land based scene on it, just because the vases are so very beautiful…do take a peek :)  )

http://web.cmoa.org/?attachment_id=9373

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-pair-of-sevres-pate-sur-pate-circa-1854-4175358-details.aspx?intObjectID=4175358

The later vases  (c.1890) I see seem to be all people type vases, in  pâte-sur-pâte  porcelain as well as the Bohemian glass ones in Truitt’s and others on the net.  However the blue makes me wonder if it was mimicking Minton who it appears did do a blue  pâte-sur-pâte  and I think from what I read, there was a revival of this type of technique again later in the century.

The white enamelled vases with people on them from Muhlhaus in Truitt's Bohemian Glass 1880-1940 seem to be dated around 1890 - these are ones with children and people on them but none have a ‘scenic’ picture. There is a pair of plain blue opaque or opaline vases but the shape is not the same  as they are straight cylinder vases.

The white is built up in layers from what I understand and fired between each layer.  The detail is great, down to the feathers on the chest being ruffled to one side where the stork is pecking. 
The applied cabochons are dark blue glass, over-enamelled initially in a thin white layer.  This has the effect of making them appear pale grey against the pale blue body, with the dark blue 'eye' of the cabochon showing.  They've then been further decorated with white enamel, which shows as white against 'grey' and the eye outline in gilt - very effective and pretty.

Any help much appreciated :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
very intriguing looking piece m, the white decoration looks high quality  -  regret I'm not remotely able to help on this occasion.    Looking in the dictionaries it would seem that there needs to be some degree of translucence to qualify for 'opaline' - and as  you've said 'solid', then perhaps this is more accurately described as 'pale blue opaque glass'.    great looking piece though, and I'd certainly go along with Bohemian :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I associate cabochons with Bormioli FWIW

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ivo do you have a reference at all please as I can't find anything to view on Bormioli at all.  Thanks :)
I get the feeling it Bohemian, but I could be wrong.  This is the nearest I can find online (see link) type thing, but the vases in Truitt's are blue but have the 'Mary Gregory' children on them - page 94.
http://www.auctions-fischer.de/kataloge/online-kataloge/199.html?kategorie=17&artikel=16152&L=&cHash=eb274abdfb
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Unbelievable! I changed my search to read simply 'white enamel Heron' instead of Stork which I'd used (as well as many other searches  ::)  )
and look what I found
http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/antiquedetail.asp?autonumber=41066
Perhaps I need to check my bird knowledge a little more.
m

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
Harrachov Neuwelt. 1860's-1870's.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've no idea what happened to my post that I thought I'd sent last night  ??? I must have not clicked send.
So my apologies for the apparent delay in saying thank you so much! I appreciate it.
 I had thought it might be earlier for some reason.  I made a typo in my post above as well.  In Truitt's the ones with children and ladies on under Muhlhaus are dated 1895 (and 1900 as well), not 1890.
I just came back to say I've still not worked out if it is a stork or a heron  ;D could be either I think.

Paul, thank you.  I'm waiting for some sun and I'll try and take a picture with natural light on the glass and see how different it might be to one of my white opaline pieces.

I seem to have accumulated a little collection of very big Harrach vases :)
Many thanks again.
m

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
this is not the same as the so called mary gregory kids other than being a white enamel. The quality is much higher. This is from teh Japonica influence more than victorian influence.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I'd be inclined to agree........in which case the bird might be a representation of a crane, possibly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand